Monday, October 19, 2009

Football, Family & Shopping



It has been cold and rainy for the past week here in DC and although I'd already planned to stay in with the family and watch the TX / OU game Saturday afternoon (note: this year's game is certainly not going to go into the books as one of the best played by either team but at least the Longhorns pulled out a win in the end) that was about all we did and by Sunday the family was going a little stir crazy.

Well that and my eye sight was beginning to blur from spending countless hours reading Twilight fan fiction. I've really gotta stop... errr, that might be asking too much to go cold turkey... I've really got to cut down, that at least sounds more reasonable. right? Did I mention I'm actually attending a Twilight book party this week? A friend of mine is hosting so it's not some weird group I found online, never the less DH just laughs at me and I hope doesn't think I'm too crazy.

Anyway, by Sunday we were itching to do something-- anything-- so off we went to Mt. Vernon's Fall Harvest Family Days. We packed up the diaper bag with only the absolute necessities for the afternoon outing- diapers, wipes and ziplock bags-check, water & sippycup- check, plenty of toys-check and the most important- goldfish!

Other than attending a friend's wedding last year at the Mt. Vernon Inn, it had been years since I'd been to the property. And although the walk down (and worse back up) the hill was quite a work out for this super pregnant mamma ~3 weeks to go~ it was nice to get a little exercise even if I had to stop every once in a while to catch my breath, adjust my pants and pull up my wool socks. But DH was a trooper and pushed our little one along the muddy, rocky path in our Macclaren umbrella stroller, not exactly meant for off roading but neither are the legs of a 16 month old.

All joking aside, we had a great time and I loved watching how much our son enjoyed the hay bale maze even if he was a little scared of the man in colonial costume trying to give him a high five afterwards. And he was mesmerized by the two horses running in circles around us... something about separating the grain from the wheat... but I digress.

Once we made our way home and I was able to get the kiddo down for a late nap I realized DH and I are officially parents. Never in my wildest dreams would I have the thought about attending such an event when I was single or frankly even as a newlywed but now its looking like these weekends are going to be our future for the next -- well a lot of years! And that's okay.

Did I mention shopping in today's topic? Well here it is... Even before we left the house I realized I really had no appropriate shoes/boots for this outing. Of course DH suggested tennis shoes but I'm really no fan unless I'm actually working out. I have no need for them in any other situation. Instead I wore wool argyle socks and my black patton flats. You may recall me detailing how they saved my life in this older post.

As you might expect they weren't the best shoe choice. I was thinking more about a nice pair of warm and fuzzy uggs. I never really jumped on the ugg bandwagon when they were "new" because I never seemed to have a need but now that I'm home and in a more casual dress setting I'm thinking the Mayfaire boot in cement brown (awful name by the way) would be perfect for the upcoming winter. (I tried to post a picture but frankly I'm still having trouble with bloggers updated posting format. I honestly don't even know how to spell check in this new format... sorry!)

I especially like that these have a back zipper as my feet can get warm pretty quickly. Who am I kidding, I get warm pretty quickly. I always joke that I'm "heating for two" because for some reason when pregnant I'm always hot, I even had the windows open last night in the 40 degree weather to cool off after making dinner.

And speaking of dinner, last night I made one of DH's favorite, Cracker Barrel's Chicken & Dumplings. It does take a bit of commitment~ several hours and more pots, pans and dishes than I like but that's what makes it a good weekend recipe and there are always plenty of left overs! Perfect, since I'm going to be out this week for the aforementioned Twilight party! (snicker snicker)

Oh and totally off topic but quite serious nonetheless, I'm in need of your help and am putting out a call for any and all suggestions!!! I'm in real need of new night cream-- see the seriousness of this issue? If you're over 30 you do!

Any ideas? Do you love yours? Please share! I just used the last of mine last night. I'm not wild about it but it's not awful either. And I should mention I'm not looking for something in the Creme de La Mer category but other than that I'm open to all suggestions. Thank you thank you thank you!

Happy Monday!

Cheers,
Ouiser



2 comments:

Unknown said...

> format. I honestly don't even know
> how to spell check in this new
> format... sorry!)

That's ok. You might want to take a look at Spell Check Anywhere (SpellCheckAnywhere.Com). It is a very good program that adds spell checking to all programs, including blogs.

Ouiser B. said...

oh I can't thank you enough! I've never been a good speller so this will be a huge help!!