Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Recipe of the week ~ Aebleskivers


Anyone on DH's side of our family reading today's post certainly doesn't need this recipe and frankly I'm pretty sure you've got your own time tested version so I completely understand if you out click and head on to better things on the web. For the rest of you, this is a fantastic yummy delicious breakfast recipe that you simply must try!!

If you are wondering how to pronounce today's recipe it sounds like (A-bul-skee-vers). I think the origin is Danish, but they are apparently very popular in the mid-west. In case you hadn't picked up on this before, DH's family hails from the Chicago area. This was one of their family's favorite breakfasts, that and the waffles at Caroll House in Door County where they spent their summers. DH is adamant about his waffles. For some reason he is very opposed to Belgian waffles and only likes the "normal kind". Apparently Caroll House has the best. Sadly I'll have to wait till our next trip (fingers crossed that will be this next summer with both of our boys) to try them. I was in the midst of a health kick during our first trip and as I recall I think I actually said no to the famous waffles and ordered egg whites both times we went that week. What was I thinking? I know I know, I'll order much better next time!

So, I'm going totally off on a tangent here, especially because Aebleskivers have nothing to do with Door County (as just confirmed via email by DH) However, because I'm an arrogant Texan, it's all very mid-west to me so of course I am lumping the two together.

I just have to rave about Door County for a quick minute then back to the recipe. If you haven't heard of this little hamlet along Wisconsin's northwest peninsula please visit the Door County website. DH and I spent a week here with his parent's a couple of summers ago and it was just as beautiful and charming as they'd described. Now, I can't even fathom going in the fall or winter or really even spring for that matter with out freezing to death but come July it's stunning. There are a string of tiny little towns along the peninsula that make up Door County. Each is utterly charming in its own right with incredibly beautiful lake and forest views. And the weather is perfect-- bright and sunny with highs in the upper 70's and lows in the mid 50's.

As you might imagine there are little shops lining each side of the street. Filled with sugary treats, ice cream parlors, popcorn shops and for some reason an astoundingly large number of Christmas themed stores. I actually found the most beautiful nativity created by a local artist. I'd been looking for just the right one for years and now every year when I set it out I think of that wonderful trip.

We went deep sea... errr it is actually a lake... can you say deep lake fishing? We'll we did and caught some beautiful salmon that we actually had smoked by a local fishmonger. I am a fan of any kind of salmon-- broiled, poached, raw or smoked but catching our own and enjoying it for days (because it was smoked!) was the best ever.


Another fun restaurant that you must try if you are ever in the area is Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant. Aside from having fantastic food (huge portions, natch) and a cute little gift shop the building itself is worth a visit. The entire roof is covered in grass, real growing green grass and if that's not enough they have goats roaming, snacking and napping on the roof as well. Thankfully I have the pictures to prove it, otherwise I'm sure you would never believe me. It's the darnedest thing but utterly charming.


Okay so enough of my foray into Door County. I really am excited to share this recipe with you. It's one of our family's favorite weekend breakfasts (although I don't make them nearly as frequently as I should). Aebleskivers taste a bit like small puffed up pancakes and look very similar to donut holes. There are endless variations you can play around with once you get the basic recipe down. Our family favorite is to add banana in the middle.

I will say that you are required to buy a special Aebleskiver Pan to make these. I am usually adamant that anything in my kitchen must be a multi-tasker but I have made an exception for this one. It's very small and well worth the little amount of space it takes up. You can purchase a pan, cookbook, mix and even turning tools at Williams Sonoma (ahhh, one of my all time favorite stores). I would however, only recommend the pan. Really the recipe is an easy one and frankly you do not need to buy "turning tools" two wooden skewers or even a fork will do just fine.

I hope you'll consider making this sometime for your family. I promise some very very happy results!


Danish Aebleskivers
Makes 35-40 aebleskivers

2 C Flour (all purpose is fine)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2C buttermilk
3 Eggs, separated

Optional: Fruit filling ... think bananas, apples or berries of any kind

Sift together flour, salt and baking soda. Add buttermilk and egg yolks. Beat egg whites until light and fluffy, forming soft peaks. Gently fold egg whites into batter.

Heat Aebleskiver pan over medium heat. Grease each cup with cooking spray and fill 2/3 full with batter. Cook for about 1-2 mins per side or until golden brown. Flip using a toothpick or other utensil. When both sides are done serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar) and serve with maple syrup.

Cooking notes: If using a fruit filling only fill cup 1/3 full with batter, then cover with fruit and complete with another 1/3 batter so they don't overflow the pan.

Tip: It helps tremendously to use a plastic squeeze bottle. I use a funnel to pour the batter into our squeeze bottle and use the bottle to best control how much batter I pour into each cup in the pan.


Happy Cooking!

Cheers,
Ouiser

No comments: