Friday, October 9, 2009

Into Temptation ~ Book Review


I literally just finished Into Temptation, the third and final book in Penny Vincenzi's saga of the Lytton family. You may recall my previous posts reviewing No Angel and Something Dangerous.


This was just as exciting as the first two books and in so many ways filled with more drama, greed, lust, lies and at it's heart love. Love of self, career, friends, partners, children, grandchildren and most important family.

I was a little shaky and unsure about my reaction to the first book and completely hooked after the second. I'm a little sad as I finish the third. I should say that of course I'm completely aware these are fictitious characters but after spending so much time with them I can't help but feel sympathy and in some cases empathy for so many of them. And there are quite a lot of them-- after 50 years -- two husbands, one life long love, five children, twelve grandchildren a number of other family friends and relatives and of course I'm losing count of the great-grandchildren Lady Celia lived quite an amazing life but it did take some concentration to keep track of them all.

If I had to use one word to describe the first book it would be choices, for the second I would say consequences and for this last book, I am hard pressed to choose between forgiveness and love. And not to get too deep on a Friday morning but one could argue that forgiveness really does come from love so perhaps I should go with love.

All of the characters are fallible and certainly guilty of a number of mistakes some more grievous than others but throughout it all they also have a number of redeeming qualities. It is said best by my favorite character in this book, a stubborn, strong willed but terribly honest and most loving character -- "that's what love is. Still loving someone, in spite of knowing the bad things."

If you do find yourself reading these books I hope very much that you'll either post your own thoughts and comments on this blog or perhaps email me directly. I would love to hear your impressions on the terribly clever and charming Lytton family!

Happy Friday!

Cheers,
Ouiser

No comments: