Tuesday, October 6, 2009

New Tune Tuesday ~ Texas Country


Last night Mamere called to see if we needed anymore pecans which led me to today's post ... this may seem like an odd question and thus train of thought but she knows just how much I LOVE Texas pecans. Seriously there is a real difference! And the ones at Royalty Pecans , outside of Bryan, Texas are sensational. Just like my mother in law brings DH his favorite red beans and rice mix that we can only find in Texas, my mother brings me Texas pecans. Anyone that knows me at all knows how much I adore Texas... yes the whole state... the big hair, big egos, big hearts, big land and (aprops for today's post) big music!

I'm absolutely convinced that even if I hadn't grown up in Texas (and Austin to boot) I would have loved the state the first time I visited. There is something indescribably welcoming about being there and get this East Coasters-- people are genuinely and sincerely friendly. I know it's a hard concept to wrap your heads around. People (for the most part) don't honk at each other and actually say hello and ask how you are when confined in an elevator.

I'm not going to try to convince you that it's the most beautiful state (although I think it is) because we all have our own ideas of what "beauty" means (DH likes the deserts in the South West) but to me it simply doesn't get better then driving through the hill country in the early morning with the sun shinning brightly on the rolling hills and glistening green grass filled with bluebonnets, Indian paintbrushes and delicate primroses.

There is a small farm about half way between Austin and Houston (a drive I've made no less than a thousand times I'm sure) with a small rolling hill that seems to end right at the edge of an old red barn. The barn is more than a bit worn, the paint is fading and I'm not even sure it's still in use, but every time I pass it I smile thinking about how long it's been there. To me that is beautiful.

Okay, sorry for the schmaltzy moment, I'm obviously a Texas ex-pat living away from my "home" so why don't I get back to the point of this post... Texas Country Music. I'm sure a quick visit to Google would illustrate that thousands of books, blogs and websites are dedicated to the subject so let me be clear--this is no synopsis of Texas Country Music, I am just going to post a couple of my all time favorite songs about the great state. If you know them, I hope you'll sing along and if you don't I hope you'll discover a couple of new favorites.

I am starting with "Texas Fight" to get any Texans "in the mood"... the rest is all fabulous, wonderful good Texas Country. Oh and I apologize that "What I like about Texas" is cut ridiculously short not to mention I really much prefer the Jerry Jeff Walker version but alas the website I was downloading this from didn't offer it. Of course Gary P. Nunn is no slouch, so it's nice to have him represented. That being said I couldn't post this without at least one Jerry Jeff song, it just wouldn't seem right as his music is intrinsically intertwined with so many of my favorite memories growing up in Texas.

I hope you enjoy! I know I have while making this little selection.





Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones




Cheers,
Ouiser

1 comment:

Sandi said...

speaking of TEXAS! Have you taken the "How Texan Are You?" test on Face Book? I am a True Texas! you can find the quiz on my facebook page. Look for Willie Nelson sending his love.