Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Gift of the Vampire


Na na na na na na... they say it's your birthday... na na na na na na... well it's my birthday too! Yes that's right, Mamma Ouiser turns another year younger today!

You know, for at least one year (although I still claim it was two) I was able to convince DH that I was getting younger. Well not actually getting younger but I swore up and down I was turning 28 not 29 then 27 not 28. It was that second year that did me in. All of a sudden he realized that he was getting positively too old for me and with some quick math realized my innocent fibs. Since then he's been very good at keeping track of exactly how old I am. This year is no different, but he is sweet enough at this point not to bring it up.

So, in honor of my birthday I'm doing whatever I want today! Well, that is aside from my (now) weekly doctors appointments to check on our rapidly growing baby deux and of course Tuesday is also the day I take our little one to his gym class. So okay, after those two things its all about me. Oh wait, I really do need to go to the grocery store to at least get some more milk. mmm this is sounding an awful lot like any other day.

To counter balance I've decided I'm going to break my recently imposed rule of not buying any new books so that I can pick up volumes 5-8 (I've just been told vol. 9 isn't out yet) of The Southern Vampire Series. You can read my review of vol 1. Dead Until Dark here.

I should explain, I'm not anti-buying books its just that I have no where to put them in our new house. Our previous home had some wonderfully large built in bookshelves but for all the things I love about our new house, it is lacking built in book shelves. Sadly, we have too many book boxes filled and sitting in our storage shed longing to come in out of the cold. I'm still looking for just the right shelves but haven't yet found them. So, I keep telling myself that I can't buy any more books until I find refuge for the ones we currently own. And of course the computer system is down for the next two days at our library so they can't seem to find the volumes I need.


Well thank goodness I am able to justify said purchase. See how easy that was? In fact what do you think about these shelves from Ballard Designs, natch? I'm kinda smitten with them.

Back to the books... Living Dead in Dallas, Club Dead & Dead to the World. Are you sensing a theme here? hee hee

I'm not going to go into a long review of each book, instead I thought I'd give you a brief overall review of the series at what is almost the midpoint.

I will say that the books aren't particularly complicated or deeply thoughtful but they don't seem to need to be in order to have the desired effect of completely sucking you into a whole wide world of supernatural beings each with their own fascinating plot lines and back stories. As the books progress you find that characters you once adored turn out to not be so wonderful. And in the same light you realize others are really likable and actually for me, totally lovable. I'm completely smitten with one devastatingly handsome vampire. He's totally delish and I'm just dying to know what happens to him in book 5!

I guess the best recommendation I can give is that I've gone from somewhat interested in this series to totally ravenous for the next one. What more can you ask? And frankly the speed with which one can read these means I'm buying any of them that I can get my hands on!

If you like romance, danger, mystery and did I mention romance? Please give this series a shot, I don't think you'll be disappointed!! And if you are, please feel free to blame me.

Happy Reading!

Cheers,
Ouiser

P.S. Incase you can't read the text on the top photo, it says... "I feel a sin coming on". Isn't that what birthdays are for?

No comments: