Friday, October 23, 2009

Deliciously Darling Dolly!


As a good Southern Girl I love me some Dolly Parton!

You too? I thought so.... I mean how can you not love this lady? She's completely self made, perky (in every imaginable way), charming, smart, independent, successful, talented, smart, kind, insanely positive... oh and did I mention she's been married to the same man for 43 years? Yeah, she's pretty awesome.

My all time favorite Dolly story comes from a few years ago when I saw an interview with Julia Roberts about her role in Steel Magnolias. As you might have guessed this is my all time favorite movie... hence my pseudonym. Anyway, in the interview Julia mentions that she was complaining to Dolly about the heat during filming... mmm take hot and muggy Shreveport and add movie lights, I can only imagine how sweaty, err scratch that, how glistening I'd be. (made me think of that great old phrase...Horses sweat, men perspire and ladies glisten) Anyway, Dolly replied with something like, Darlin' I've dreamt about doing this since I was a baby. I don't ever complain. What a good reminder of how blessed we all are.

Sooooo, imagine how happy I was when DH got me two tickets to her concert. I must admit that I've never been a huge concert fan... probably because growing up in Austin I was so spoiled by seeing some great bands in really really small venues. Therefore I've never really appreciated the mega stadiums where you either shell out hundreds to sit front row, mooch off a lobbyist to watch from their sky box or least fun bring your binoculars and watch from the nosebleed section with the other 20 somethings.

The Dolly concert was a totally different experience. I took one of my girlfriends... come on... DH loves me and is committed to spending the rest of his life with me but a Dolly concert? I don't think so. She and I got into the hall and were both surprised how intimate if felt. Dolly had already started when we arrived so we grabbed our drinks and found our seats.

After each song she sat on a stool and just chatted with the audience as if we were old friend sitting around catching up. She answered questions and told stories... all self-effacing of course. She's really very funny, natch. If I wasn't a devotee before that night I certainly was afterwards.

Mmm, now what got me started on today's post? oooh right, she has a new album coming out! Well new isn't exactly the right word although there are several songs that hadn't previously been released. Dolly is a 4 disk box set coming out next week-- Tuesday to be exact... I know this because it's my birthday! Yep, Dolly is releasing this awesome box set on my birthday. Coincidence? I think not.

As I was looking over the list of songs on the albums I was hard pressed to pick a favorite so I'm not. It's a fabulous catalogue of old and new songs. SOME of my personal favorites include Jolene, Island in the Stream, Time for me to Fly and Silver & Gold.

Okay okay, one more Dolly story then its off to refill my coffee cup and check into my twitter account. It's already been several hours since I logged on this morning who knows what I've missed! Anyone else following the Chuck Todd Goatee-gate? Reminds me of presidential campaign season when everyone is all giddy with campaign silliness. Whose ready for 2012? I know I am!

So back to Dolly one last time... Did you know that Elvis offered to record a version of her song "I Will Always Love You" in the early 60's. She turned him down, shocking the music world. Yes she turned Elvis down because he would only do it if he could buy the rights to the song. While I think he would have done a fantastic job with the song, I'm so impressed with her integrity. And financially it wasn't so bad a decision either since I'm sure she made a whole lot more money when Whitney Houston performed her own version 25 years later.

Please go check out her website and take a listen to some of your favorite Dolly tunes and maybe discover a few new favorites.

And because it's friday I thought I'd throw in one of my favorite scenes from Steel Magnolias...



Truvy: "Well, in a good shoe I wear a size 6 but a 7 feels so good I buy a size 8" Clairee: "They're a size 8 1/2"
Truvy: "Perrrrfect"

What a true statement... for this shoe lovin' woman at least!

Happy Friday!


Cheers,
Ouiser

No comments: