Friday, October 16, 2009

Friday Football Fever ~ Texas vs OU Weekend


If you are a Texas Football fan this is the most exciting weekend of the year... and the most unpredictable. I'm just about equal parts excited and nervous.

For those that haven't been counting down the months weeks and days for this game, I'll explain. Every October Texas and Oklahoma meet in Dallas for the Red River Shootout. Yes, I know the image above says rivalry but that's only because they changed the name a few years ago. I guess "shootout" seemed too violent. Sorta like the DC Basketball team went from being the Bullets to the Wizards. Mmm, yes yes I feel much safer now don't you?

Back to Texas. This is the biggest rivalry game for both teams and over the many many years of the match up there is one thing I can say for certain, there is no way to predict the outcome. I've seen years were Oklahoma was the #1 team in the nation and Texas was .... how shall I put this... in a rebuilding phase and yet somehow managed to whoop the Sooners. And sadly I've seen the reverse as well.

As if the game wasn't a big enough draw it's always held during the State Fair of Texas... oh yeah are you thinking about Big Tex and the best corn dogs ever? No? Well you should be they are faaaanastic. One of these days I'm going to get my boys down to Texas for the game but until then we'll just have to watch from a far.

Although I was born in Texas and grew up in Austin, I feel compelled to mention that both my parents are from Oklahoma and Mamere attended OU (although for the record she also attended UT but I don't want to start an online tiff with my mother, that's just tacky). So we are as you might say, "a house divided". In fact the first year my mother was forced to miss the game (by her doctor's orders) was the year I was born as she was more than 9 months pregnant and was told she couldn't travel to Dallas. Thankfully I was so adorable that she forgot all about missing the game once I arrived. (yes, I'm an only child and suffer from all the misgivings that come along with that status.)

I can assure you that our house will be tuned in for the BIG game, the pre-show, post-show and anything else we can find to watch being so far away from Texas.


If you regularly follow my blog I'll be making my Southwestern Corn Dip for DH and I and will have our son decked out in his UT finest. I've mentioned these overalls before but I don't think I ever posted a picture. They were given to us by a good friend of mine from my early days in DC who has now returned to the promise land (that's Austin if you didn't already guess) with her husband and little boy. I love these overalls and we always get so many compliments when my son is out and about in them.

So if you are a fan I don't need to tell you to watch, but even if you aren't tune in at 11AM (Austin time) to watch some down home good 'ol college football!


Happy Football Friday!


Cheers,
Ouiser

No comments: