Thursday, October 1, 2009

Twilight Madness ~ Am I too old for Edward?



Okay, so I've already posted my blog of the day, I completely realize I should just make myself a nice cup of hot chocolate and pick up the book I've been ignoring for the last few days. Or I can think of a number of things around the house I should probably be doing -- cleaning, washing, folding, picking up, etc while my little angel is down for his afternoon nap but I'm fully aware that's not going happen.


So, seemingly unable to stop myself I'm going to blog about twilight... and worse, I'm going to blog about my emotions regarding completely fictitious characters. Oh, I do hope that DH doesn't pick today of all days to check my blog. He already thinks I'm a total nut for discovering and admitting to reading fanfiction. I doubt very seriously that anyone actually reading this is aware of what fanfiction is because you are all totally normal and haven't been sucked into the Twilight World. I can't say with all honestly that I would choose to go back to the days of my naive ignorance but there are certainly times when I wish it was possible.

I was reminded of this while reading Twitarded, my favorite Twilight blog (yes yes please feel free to snicker, I would too if it wasn't so true). Regardless of your opinion of Twilight, you can't help but admit these ladies are hilarious and often link to some very entertaining things. Anyway today's post was all about Twilight themed magazines. I can completely identify with spending just a little bit too long admiring the plethora of Twilight themed magazines while checking out at the grocery store or CVS. And lest you even think it, NO I haven't bought any of them. Well, except for the ones that come to my house-- US Weekly and Entertainment Weekly but those aren't solely Twilight themed so it's okay, right? say it is, paaaaallllease!

Anyway, this got me thinking. I've already said that while I appreciate how adorable and I'll say it ... hot... Robert Pattinson is, I still can't get past the fact he's 24 years old. As a married mom in her 30's I'm just not able to consciously wrap my head around drooling after someone considerably younger than most of my friends younger brothers. Frankly, he's not much older than my oldest nephew.


Edward Cullen however is... err... I'm afraid to say was a different story. Somehow while reading the books and even in the following month as I found myself exploring the Twilight universe I justified being attracted to a 17 year old character because he was really 110! I'm thinking that might be even more gross for those not familiar with the story but I'm too far into my rant to justify things now.


It wasn't until just now when I was reading one of Peter Facinelli's tweets that I realized this. For those of my generation you may recall Peter not only plays the adorable Carlisle Cullen, he is also married to Kelly Taylor (aka Jenny Garth). side note: if you are on twitter you should follow peter, its often quite funny. Click here to follow.
Anyway, back to the point of this rambling post, yay yay, I'm sure you are wondering what my point is too. Well here it is. I know I'm too old for Robert Pattinson but I think I might be too old to have a crush on Edward Cullen as well.
I mean I had a poster of Val Kilmer (circa 1986's Top Gun fame) on my bedroom wall for god's sake. And before you can do the math, Rob Pattinson was one year old at the time -- Edward was of course only 85 years old but somehow neither seems appropriate now does it? Shouldn't I be pining after Dr. Carlisle Cullen?
After all he's much closer to my age, handsome, smart, witty, charming, adorable, not completely neurotic and to top it off "ma, he's a doctor"! (anyone know where that line is from? If you said Little Shop of Horror's - also from 1986-- I'm impressed and you're right).
So as I sit here unsure where this leaves me I thought I'd share this hypothetical crisis with you... you of course being my mother (who hasn't returned my call yet today by the way) and my mother in law. Neither of whom have read Twilight.

Whats a girl to do? I think for now I'll log off and pick up a book. Repeat to self: I will not go searching for more fan fiction, I will not go searching for more fanfiction!
Till tomorrow, when I'll have another earth shattering post about something of consequence, like where to find this fall's best nail polish. In all seriousness I love this one from Chanel, Le Vernis Rouge Noir but it seems to be back ordered so far into the future that its no longer even in style.

Cheers,
Ouiser

1 comment:

marilyn said...

Go get the sookie stackhouse novels - you can pine after bill or eric - two more hottie vampires with a more lusty edge than sweet edward. I'm flying through the series - they are addictive!