Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Best Burger in Town ~ BGR The Burger Joint


I have to thank DH for this wonderful restaurant find. Of course as I think about this he is almost always the one to discover the newest restaurant gem, one of the many many reasons he's so wonderful.

This weekend we tried BGR The Burger Joint. I don't feel the need to eat cheeseburgers (there is no need for a naked burger under any circumstances) all that frequently but every once in a while I find I'm just craving a big, juicy cheeseburger. And BGR is now officially the only place I want to go for said burger!

We strolled into their Old Town location on Sunday morning, shortly after they opened with our little one in tow. I was immediately impressed by how clean the restaurant was (Sadly, cleanliness and burger joints don't always go hand in hand) as well as the great tunes they were playing. The walls are covered with rock albums from the late 70's and early 80's - think Chicago, Journey, U2.

I ordered their standard "the burger" with cheddar as did DH although he added their famous mojo sauce and bacon. We split an order of onion rings and sweet potato fries and a strawberry shake. The shake was all my idea, something about being pregnant and craving strawberry milkshakes... I don't know why but they are one of my only cravings. I justified it because a portion of the proceeds benefits Susan G. Komen and this is after all Breast Cancer awareness month.

See how I can justify just about anything? You should see me after coming home from a big sale at Saks or Neimans... justifications galore!! Speaking of Saks, they are having their friends and family sale, check it out in the store or on their website. Use code: FRIENDS2 for the F&F discount, plus you can also get free shipping with ode OCTSHIP9.


The moment I took the first bite I knew I was in love. The bread is a soft buttery brioche and the burger was perfectly seasoned and not too big. I hate it when some places serve you a burger that is so tall you can't even get a portion into your mouth for a bite. I end up having to eat it with a fork and knife and that is no fun at all. This was so good that even in my very pregnant state I ate the entire burger, normally I get a few bites in to whatever I'm eating and realize that I'm too full to continue.

The sweet potato fries are scrumptious as are the regular fries (I snagged a couple from our son's plate) and while I do prefer thinner onion strings their large cut onion rings are quite tasty. And the shake was divine! Lots of real strawberries and delicious locally made Gifford's ice cream.

As we were enjoying all the food splayed out on our table the chef came over to our table to say hello and to bring our son a brownie. How sweet is that? He was so friendly and sweet, not to mention that brownies just happen to be our son's favorite dessert. I stopped by to say thank you before we left and let him know that these were the best burgers I'd ever had. While I certainly don't think it's the first or the last time he'll hear it, I wanted to make sure he knew we were very happy customers!

If I mean when I return I might try "the wellington burger" which adds roasted mushrooms, caramelized onions, black truffles and blue cheese but then again why mess with the original, it was after all perfection!

If you are in the Washington DC area they have two locations, one in Bethesda and one in Old Town. Although after a quick peak at their website this morning it looks as if they are opening a new location in DuPont, perfect for those DC'ers that refuse to leave the district, lest the world end. I can make fun of you because I was once like you... many years ago, but like you none the less.

PS You can follow them on twitter by clicking here.

Cheers,
Ouiser

1 comment:

Sandi said...

I beg to differ, you weren't "like" one of those DCers, you WERE ONE!