Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Recipe/Cocktail of the Week ~ Margaritas


I'm not going to lie, I debated about whether I wanted to share today's recipe with you. Everyone always raves about these and I'll be frank, it has kinda been my "thing" for years.

But, what can I say? I'm just that kind of person ~ kind, giving, always thinking of others ~ you know, basically like Mother Theresa with better clothes. 

Here in DC, Ms. Spring seems to have awoken and is peaking out from under her duvet. I for one am eagerly awaiting her annual arrival. Cherry blossoms, farmers markets, long long walks in the neighborhood and dining al fresco.

Which brings me to today's post. I absolutely adore cocktailing in the out of doors. Lets be clear, I'm not "outdoorsy" but if given a nice table and chairs on a stable surface I can stay outside for hours sipping away. 

I wish I could credit the right person for this recipe but frankly I've been making them since college... and if I were being totally honest maybe even high school so I have no idea where I got it. Never the less they are simple and delicious! I for one am NOT a fan of margarita mix, it always taste so syrupy. If you feel the same, please don't be scared by the limeade, I swear it has a nice clean crisp flavor. 

We've got another busy weekend but I feel confident that when push comes to shove I can make time for some quality backyard bonding with one of these in my hands.

Ouiser's Margaritas
Makes 4 servings

2 8 oz. cans of Minute Maid frozen limeade
1 bottle Corona beer
4-5 oz. Tequila (or more -- no judging from me) 
limes & kosher salt

Mix first three ingredients in pitcher until limeade has completely dissolved. Add ice to glasses before pouring and a slice of lime to each glass makes it perfect.

Notes: ~  I've tried any number of mexican beers with this recipe and Corona is by far the best! But by all means experiment till you find your favorite.

~ Maybe I'm getting old and persnickety but it's worth it to buy decent tequila. Yes, peeps it does make a difference. 

~ For those that like salted margaritas (that'd be me) just rub a little lime juice around the rim of the glass and dip in kosher salt before pouring. I've found that pouring kosher salt on a small appetizer plate is perfect for this little task. 

Happy Cocktailing!

Cheers, 
Ouiser 

No comments: