Friday, January 1, 2010

Restaurant Review ~ Ray's The Steak


Like any good red blooded southern gal, I like a big fat steak once in a while. And after living in DC, a town that serves A LOT of steak for the past decade I've had the opportunity to try out a number of great steak houses... some chains and some not.

However, it was a few years back when DH took me to Ray's the Steak, a tiny little hole in the wall restaurant in Arlington of all places that I truly fell in love (with the restaurant... I was already in love with DH, natch). The space was shockingly bare. Nothing, and I mean nothing on the walls, not even paint! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't more than a little bit skeptical that first night. Did I mention they didn't take reservations? what tha? in this town?

After my first sip of lobster bisque my interest was peeked. More than peeked really, I wanted to lick the cup and if I was alone I probably would have, it was that delish! Then things got good and I mean really really good, my steak arrived.... mmmmm... and it was heavenly. Cooked to a perfect medium rare and had an amazing crunchy char.

DH and I happily took all our friends and family here when ever we could. The no reservations thing was a pain but totally worth it for the amazing food and incredible prices! I figured this would be our "go to" place for years to come. Then they moved....

Oh dear, my inner worry wort came out big time. I just knew that somehow when they moved, more than doubling the size of their restaurant something would go amiss. It always seems to happen-- change  too much and the experience just isn't the same. Happily I was completely wrong. We've been to Ray's several times since their big move last year, most recently last week and I've left full and happy and maybe a little tipsy every time!

With two kids under two at home DH and I don't get out as much and never as spontaneously as we once did. But with mamere in town we took full advantage of the live in sitter and made a reservation at Ray's. Okay that is another very welcome change!

We were seated immediately and our very patient waiter waited as I perused the wine menu. We settled on a Napa blend he recommended. Delish!

We started with two (new to us) appetizers-- Bacon with sauerkraut was the first and a steak tartar version of a deviled egg. I was surprised how similar the flavor of the steak tartar was to an actual deviled egg. And I would never have ordered the bacon dish, but I'm so glad DH did. The richness of the bacon was surprising well matched with the sauerkraut, something that I really don't like.

DH is much better about trying different cuts of meat, while I pretty much always stick with the petite filet mignon with blue cheese crumbles on top. Mmm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it! I was upset to see they no longer offered the petite filet but when I asked our waiter he said that could still serve it.

Ummm, now I'm thinking I shouldn't have mentioned that last bit about asking for an off the menu item oh wait no one reads this blog... right right, so I'm sure it'll be just be fine.

I'll leave it here, before this review gets too long to hold your interest but I will add that the new space is lovely... none of the wood paneling you'd see in a DC steakhouse instead they have floor to ceiling windows with heavy velvet drapes and three separate dining rooms that make the restaurant seem more intimate than it probably would be otherwise.

If you live in the area you MUST try Rays! If you are visiting from out of town and can make your way across the Potomac you'd be remiss not to check out this gem of a steak house!

Ray's the Steak, 2300 Wilson Blvd., Arlington, VA 22201

Happy Dining!

Cheers, 
Ousier

No comments: