Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Recipe of the Week ~ Ham & Beans with Southern Cornbread


I just couldn't decide what recipe to share with yall this week, believe it or not this is usually the hardest post to write each week. Obviously when it comes to recipes there are endless options available but I genuinely only want to post things I love so sometimes it takes awhile to find some inspiration.


I'm not a huge fan of stews but during the cold and dreary days of January I think we all crave something warm and homey. Well today's recipe is the definition of a warm and homey meal. 


Mamere made Ham & Beans for DH and I last month when she was here for a visit. Aside from being absolutely delicious, I was hard pressed to remember the last time I had Ham and Beans. Something so simple and reminiscent of home yet I'd never once made it since moving "north". Thankfully DH was as big a fan as I. 


I made this version of Ham and Beans along with the BEST cornbread (I'm touting the recipe of course not my baking skills) for dinner last night and you can bet I'll be warming up a bowl today for lunch as well. 


And as I was browsing around for a nice picture of cornbread I stumbled upon this little number. I made mine in our cast iron skillet (really the only way to go) but aren't these darling? As I recall Mamere has two sets of these her self.... but of course she does! You can order your own here.


Ham and Beans
Serves 4 -6


1 pkg      Dry beans (I like the 15 bean mixed bag)
2-3 qts. Water (amount depends on how "soupy" you like)
1 lbs       Ham or Smoked Sausage, cut into bite size pieces


Rinse beans then add to water and cook over high heat till it reaches a rolling boil. Cover and reduce heat to low and let simmer for an hour.


After an hour add the ham and continue to simmer for another 30 mins to an hour.


Add seasoning if needed but it likely will be plenty salty from the ham. 



I DO NOT claim any ownership of the corn bread recipe. It's yet again from my all time favorite cookbook, The Joy of Cooking. You can purchase your own copy here if you don't aready own it. And as I was finding the link to share with you I noticed they've come out with a new addition, The 75th Anniversary Addition. 




Southern Corn Bread
Serves 8


Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees


1 TBS    Bacon grease or shortening (butter/oil is okay)
1 3/4 C   Stone ground cornmeal
1 TBS      Sugar
1 tsp        Baking Powder
1 tsp        Baking Soda
1 tsp        Salt
2              Large Eggs
2 C           Buttermilk


Grease a cast iron skillet (or MUCH less desirably an 8 X 8 glass baking dish) with bacon grease.


Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside. Whisk together the wet ingredients then add the wet to the dry and whisk until just blended. 


Heat the skillet for a minute or less in the oven then pour the batter into the skillet and return to the oven. Cook for 20 mins or until the top is browned. 


I can't stress enough what a difference cooking this in a cast iron skillet makes. The crust has a bit of a crunch that is missing when made in a glass dish. 


I hope you make this sometime soon. I know we'll be having it again before spring arrives! 




Cheers, 
Ouiser



1 comment:

marilyn said...

Love it - I needed another ham recipe...seriously! When I'm feeling sick or just have a swamped week, I buy a big honey spiral ham and make dinner every night with it (david calls it my "poor woman's week" - if you need a financial incentive aside from the luxury of laziness, you have a week of meals for like $20). Pick up a big spiral ham, grab rolls, bread, greens...and now a bag of beans - voila! 5 nights of simple porky bliss. Ham sandwiches, ham & greens, ham biscuits with cheese, ham & beans...really, the possibilities are endless when it comes to the pig.