Saturday, January 2, 2010

Book Review ~ The Southern Vampire Series


Well boys and girls this camper has been doing a lot of reading over my holiday break. Never fear, I'll be sure to review all the books I've read... the good, the bad and the gut wrenching!

I'm going to start off with the second half of Charlaine Harris' The Southern Vampire Series (books 5 - 8) since I've already reviewed the first book here and then books 2-4 here. I was under the impression that the series ended with book 8, but all I have to say is "they" better be wrong because I was left with way too many questions and a lot of pent up angst about a certain blond vampire... did I mention he's hot? And even though I don't watch the TrueBlood series (on HBO) I still picture Alexander Skarsgard as Eric. This really hot Viking vampire stole my heart somewhere around book 4 and I've been waiting patiently for some resolution since then.

The story continues to be told through Sookie Stackhouse's perspective which I'll be honest as a Southerner myself I find to be a bit patronizing at times. For example, I do know how to season a cast iron skillet, I don't need it explained to me like I'm some yankee reading this "charming southern tale." Wow... where did that pent up angst come from? maybe living so close to the Mason-Dixon line has gotten me all defensive and if that is the case, my apologies.

Back to the book...

Sookie continues to find herself in a heap of trouble at every turn,  some by her own mistakes and some is just pure bad luck. In any case, she always manages to find a way out either by her own accord or with the help of the ever growing supernatural population. I'm pretty sure we discover a new race of "sups" with each new book.  If I had to pick just one "supe" to be... it'd totally be a fairy. (snicker snicker) Aside from being deathly susceptible to iron and lemon juice (yes that's what I said) they are smart, witty, attractive to all and very very powerful. Oh and apparently they smell amazing.

By far my favorite development is that of Sookie's love life. As with the first few books, she seems to attract every supernatual being in a 100 mile radius. I believe I've already mentioned that I'm smitten with Eric the Nordic Vampire Hottie. (Gosh, I hope DH isn't reading this, not because I'm embarrassed about crushing on a fictional vampire - been there done that- but because I'm pretty sure DH is rolling his eyes and snickering at how silly I am. Oh well, he's stuck with me now!)

These are extremely easy reads, I finished each one in a day or two. They aren't exactly going to win a pulitzer prize but they are fun, fantastical, witty and I'm not going to lie a little smutty.

If you are looking for something that you can talk about with your girlfriends over a bottle of wine than this is the series for you. If you are looking for something to pitch at your next book club or discuss with a colleague you should probably go with Reading Lolita in Tehran or The Kite Runner or something else international and slightly depressing but will make you appear all learned and erudite.

Happy Reading!!

Till next week, when I share another book review and I'll tell you ALL about my new toy, the Kindle! I'm in love!! And I promise, even though I've also read a ton of fan fiction over the break, I'll skip any kind of reviews... even I am blushing thinking about that!

Dead in the Family



UPDATE--- Can you update a post before you've even posted it? mmm, well anyway just as I was searching for a fun picture to add to this post I discovered some VERY exciting news!! Book 9 (aka Dead in the Family) is due out this May! Woo Hoo 







Cheers, 
Ousier

No comments: