Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Recipe of the week ~ Halushki

As you could probably guess, I love (almost) all things Southern and if I am totally honest I think life in general is better in the south. However, I also have to admit that there are a number of things I never would have discovered or fully appreciated until moving to the north (I know I know-- Virginia is hardly "the north" but lets not get into semantics.



1. Meeting DH, natch. Even though his folks live less than 90 miles from my own in Texas, I fear our paths were unlikely to cross.

I know you're jealous of my mad photography skills!





2. Cashmere sweaters. Now obviously I was aware of them but really had no need for any until moving to a climate that actually sees temps below 40 more than twice a winter.

3. An appreciation for the good folks from New Jersey (cast of Jersey Shore not included). This is due completely to my utterly charming friend, Miss Tory and her lovely family-- although since they are actually from Britain this may be a stretch.

4. Lastly, good non-southern food.


I know it sounds like an oxymoron but it's true, there are some great dishes that didn't originate in the south and today's recipe is one of them. As I've been told (from google) Halushki is a popular dish in the coal region of Pennsylvania and amongst a lot of Eastern European immigrants. Regardless of who created or popularized this dish, I thank you all! This is a cheap and simple one (or two) pot dinner that is hearty and filling during those cold winter nights. And we are in a long long long stretch of cold and windy days and nights here in DC. I'm sooo ready for spring and I know we are no where near close.


If I can brave the cold I may just pack up the kiddos and hit the store so that we can have Halushki tonight. Or I could just continue our hibernation and pull something out of the freezer. Well I'll just have to keep DH in suspense till he gets home, assuming he reads today's post.


Halushki
Serves 2 for a main course with some left overs or 4 as a side dish

1/4 - 1/2 lbs bacon or pancetta, small chop
1 head cabbage, shredded (any type)
1 lg. onion, quartered and thinly sliced
8 oz. egg noodles
1/2 stick butter
salt and pepper to taste
optional: hot sauce to taste


In a small saute pan cook the bacon or pancetta till crispy. Drain and set aside.


In a large saute pan, cook onions in the butter over medium heat till translucent. Reduce heat to low and add shredded cabbage stirring till well mixed with onions.


Cover pan and let cook till cabbage is tender (about 10 mins) stirring occasionally. Once cabbage is tender remove lid and continue to cook till cabbage is caramelized and lightly browned.

While cabbage is cooking prepare the egg noodles according to the package directions. Drain and then set aside.


Mix bacon or pancetta, noodles and the cabbage onion mixture and heat through if necessary. Add salt, pepper and your favorite hot sauce (optional) to desired taste.


Happy Cooking!

Cheers,
Ousier

No comments: