Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Book Review ~ Loving Frank: A Novel by Nancy Horan


Late last month I was enjoying a long awaited night out with two of my best girlfriends and about 10 of their "new" girlfriends for a birthday dinner. I knew that my life would change when I stopped working to stay home with the kids but of the many many things I expected I was surprised by my best friends making so many new friends. So as I strolled into dinner that night I was more than a bit nervous (okay and maybe a bit jealous) as I only knew one other person. 

Even before the first appetizer arrived, I was already enchanted by each of the ladies I spoke with. And as I was whispering this very statement to the birthday girl I realized... of course these were lovely, intelligent and witty ladies... they are exactly like my own best girls! And all of a sudden any unease or nervousness I had dissipated. 


I'm not even sure why I started with that, other than the fact that while I was chatting with one of the fabulous ladies she suggested I read Loving Frank: A Novel by Nancy Horan. So on Christmas evening as I played with my new Kindle (you can read about my special love for my Kindle here.) I decided to order this book. My "new friend" mentioned the story is about Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Borthwick Cheney, the woman with whom he had a love affair. Well she left out a lot! 


This is a hard review for me to write because the book was so emotionally difficult. It both challenged my ideas of womanhood and motherhood and brought to question what I hold most important in my life. And to put it bluntly this novel is brutal in every sense of the word. No character comes away unscathed and the fact that the story itself is a true one makes it even more difficult for an emotional reader like myself to walk away.


While the story itself is factual, much of the inner dialogue is created by author, Nancy Horan with the exception of a few surviving letters from Frank and Mamah. Without the  creative additions given to us by Horan I'm not sure I could have enjoyed this book.  I'm not saying that it was a "hard read", but the inner turmoil and pain that all of the characters go through is gut wrenching.


I'll go ahead and admit that before reading this book, the only thing I knew about Frank Lloyd Wright was that he was eccentric and that he was a prolific architect.  Perhaps if I'd known more about his life I would have been less shocked by this book. 



The story follows the lives of Frank and Mamah both of whom are married with families at the time they meet. The story continues as they first fall in love and then later fight to spend their lives together while still maintaining relationships to those they were once closest. In both cases, their children are at the top of the list. 


I wish I could tell you that this is a story where all the characters live happily ever after but it isn't. Having said that, this may come as a surprise but I would highly recommend this book; which is of course why I'm reviewing it. I enjoy good fluffy romance as much as the next girl but sometimes it's nice to have one's thoughts and beliefs challenged, if for no other reason that it helps to sharpen one's personal ideals and morals in your own mind. And in this I think Mamah and I could agree. 


Despite my apprehension at some of the choices made, it is abundantly clear that both Frank and Mamah needed each other in every sense of the word. They fed off each other for their creativity and passion. In that sense it was wonderful to see them fight to be together in the most honest way they knew how. 


It is a beautiful and yet tragic love story that has stayed with me. 


If you've read this novel or do so after reading my review, please please let me know what you think. I'm dying to discuss this with someone and I'm pretty sure it's not on the top of DH's list. 


Cheers, 
Ouiser  

No comments: