Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Recipe of the Week ~ Beer Battered Fish Tacos



DH has returned home from Vegas and the kids' college fund is still in tact, life is good. 

I'm gonna keep today's  errr tonight's post short as I'd like to enjoy the evening with him, a nice bottle of chardonnay and  way too much Indian take out. Ohh, note to self I should really do a review of Bombay Curry Co. It's our favorite Indian restaurant and it just so happens to be about a quarter of a mile from our house. You know now that I think about it  I seriously think we picked our home because of it's proximity to our favorite restaurants. 

Something to ponder a little later, back to today's recipe.

Last weekend DH suggested we make fish tacos and he even found recipes for salsa mac n cheese and a homemade salsa curtesy of the uber talented Rick Bayless to accompany the tacos. If you have time check out some of Rick Bayless' recipes online. They are fairly easy to make and the depth of flavor is outstanding. 


These tacos are super simple and come together in a matter of minutes! About 10 mins from fridge to fryer to plate. I hope you'll try these sometime, I promise they'll be a hit!

Beer Batter Fish Tacos
1Cup        Dark Beer (I used a Shiner)
1 Cup       All purpose Flour
1/2 tsp    Salt
1 1/2 lbs Cod fillets, cubed
1 Quart    Vegetable oil, for frying


Corn Tortilla
Shredded Cabbage
Mayonnaise~Mustard sauce**
Lime

In a shallow bowl whisk together the beer, flour and salt. Rinse fish, pat dry and cut cod into 3 in long pieces. Heat oil in a dutch oven or large cast iron skillet to 360 degrees. Coat fish in the beer batter and fry in oil for about 2 mins per side or until a golden brown.

Let the fish drain and cool slightly on a wire rack. Place a piece of fish on a tortilla and add cabbage, mayonnaise-mustard mixture and lime juice to taste. 

** I mix 2 parts Hellmans light mayo with 1 part tabasco grain mustard for a tangy taco sauce. 


Cheers, 
Ouiser

3 comments:

marilyn said...

I have to say that I have really enjoyed your recipes! Mainly because they are not complicated and don't involve a bazillion ingredients! Yum, yum - keep them coming :)

Ouiser B. said...

Yep, Motherhood will do that to you. Of course I'm talking to the Mommy Master!

And I'm no fan of Rachel Ray but I do hold fast to the rule... If I can't make it in 30 mins we don't need it.

Cathy said...

Can't wait to try this recipe! I've been looking for a really good fish taco recipe and this looks like the one!