Monday, January 11, 2010

Town & Country ~ My Favorite Magazine

When girls my age were all drooling over Tiger Beat, Teen Bop or even Seventeen magazine, I was  perusing Town & Country. Yes, I know I was an odd child.

Never the less I've had a subscription to Town and Country on and off since about age 10... that's 23 years for those of you counting and I'm still just as enamored with the publication now as I was then. There is something otherworldly about this magazine. As a kid I must admit that I was more enthralled by the wedding and party pictures... oh and those Ralph Lauren ads, mmmmm. I didn't have pictures of Kirk Cameron or Johnny Depp covering my bedroom walls as a tween.  Instead, I had the boys of Ralph Lauren pasted all over my wall in all their polo playing, garden strolling glory. Somehow they always seemed to have a gatsbyesque quality to them. And for those tweens today... think Chuck Bass!



As I got into high school I started noticing a few of the articles, especially "Social Graces". It was about that time I received my first Emily Post's Etiquette book. I was enthralled instantly and began what has been a lifelong interest in historical and present day etiquette. So, as you might imagine the "social graces" editorial quickly became a favorite. I can't be the only one that finds it fascinating that at one time the dimensions of one's calling cards denoted that person's age and if they were single or married. Okay, maybe its a very small pool of people but I know you're out there! And for years I kept an enormous folder filled with my favorite wedding invitations I'd received. At the time I justified it as planning for my own wedding but now, I'm not sure what my excuse is other than the fact that I love looking at beautiful calligraphy.

And now that I'm a bit older I still appreciate the party pictures ~ think"where did she find that dress and where can I get one too! ~ and look fondly on the wedding photos, remembering my own special day with DH. Hard to believe we will celebrate our sixth anniversary in a couple of months. And I still read the social graces column and chuckle. It is really very well written.


But now my favorite articles are those on travel. How did I miss these in years past?! Oh to be a travel writer for Town and Country! Well a girl can dream right? As I am a travel junkie, there is hardly a place on the globe I wouldn't want to go assuming they have indoor plumbing. I said travel junkie not adventure junkie. I can't tell you how many folders I have in our filing cabinet that are over flowing with torn out pages from past T&C's with all sorts of travel tidbits and recommendations for the classics ~ NYC, London and Paris to the more obscure ~ Croatia, Honk Kong and St. Petersburg. I may never get to some of these places and thats okay, I can still enjoy learning about them and for that I have Town and Country to thank.

I could go on and on and on... I haven't even mentioned their annual Bridal Issue -- really does any woman get tired of looking at bridal magazines? I don't think so. Their Green Issue, Philanthropy Issue, Home Issue & Fall Fashion (ahhhh two of my absolute favorites) and so on.

So, if you aren't familiar with the magazine I implore you to please pick up a copy or if you've been thinking about getting a subscription, do so!

For me, I'm going to re-read my January issue again as I eagerly await the arrival of my February issue.


Cheers, 
Ousier

3 comments:

Sandi said...

just a reminder for your ol' baby weary mind, your first Emily Post book was given to you for your 8th grade birthday and I'l bet by Kim!

Aren't you glad to have your ol' mom around to keep you honest, (when SHE can remember!)

Ouiser B. said...

Gee thanks Mamere. :) I was actually thinking I received it around jr. high but it worked better in the post as high school. So much for artistic license.

Sandi said...

Have you checked the room rates for La Sultana? Whatever this bloomsbury lady does, she's paid well for it.