Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Recipe of the week ~ Southwestern Corn Dip

Alas dear readers I'm heading out of town with the family again bright and early tomorrow morning and won't be home till next week. As I mentioned in a previous post, we are spending Labor Day with DH's whole family, the first time in several years and I can't wait!

I'm a bit nervous about the flight (long gone are the days of peaceful napping) with our precious darling little one year old angel. He is usually great on flights so I have nothing to complain about but ... as all other mothers can imagine, I am desperately fearful of being THAT family with the uncontrollable screaming crying child. As if anyone is okay with that situation?

That aside I should really get back to the topic of today's post. In addition to celebrating a few birthdays and one wedding anniversary, I'm excited to attend the first college football game of the season. Ahhh, glorious wonderful college football season! I can't go any further without also pointing out that UT football season also kicks off this weekend on Saturday, at home against the University of Louisiana at Monroe (ULM). Somehow I doubt the game will be on tv where we'll be but I'll be thinking of my fellow Longhorn fans as they cheer on the team.

Today's recipe ~Southwestern Corn Dip~ is one that I've been making for nearly 10 years for all sorts of occasions but it's just perfect for game day! And I must say I have yet to find one person that didn't absolutely LOVE it. I can't take credit for the recipe as it was given to me by one of my best friends, roommate and work colleagues at the time. She has long since moved away with her husband and adorable son (one of the problems of living in such a transitory town) but I've kept the recipe and always think of her when I make it.

I hope you'll consider trying it out over the weekend, it is really sooo scrumptious. Of course any tortilla chip works great (and if you are in Texas and can get the good kind I'm so jealous) but living where I do I'm partial to the tortilla scoops because they hold more of the good stuff!

Southwestern Corn Dip
serves 6 as a snack

2 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened (light is okay)
1/4 C lime juice (about 3-4 limes depending on juiciness)
1 TBS Ground Cumin (this is what people love!)
1 tsp each of Salt & Pepper
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 15oz Can of drained whole kernal corn
1 can diced green chilis
1 bunch green onion, chopped
1 C Pecan halfs, chopped

Mix in order and let chill for at least 2 hours before serving. The longer you let the dip chill the better the flavor is! It's down right addictive the next day, if you are lucky enough to have any left overs.


Happy Snacking!


Cheers,
Ouiser

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Delicious, delicious! Made it today for the LSU game and it was a hit - even the kids ate some!