Monday, September 14, 2009

Finally ~ The September Issue Review


Good Morning dear readers, I must begin off topic today ... again ... as I'm terribly distracted this morning. I had quite a difficult time pulling myself away from a new book I started this weekend to write this post but as I only have about a hour during my son's morning nap I would hate to disappoint my mother in law by not posting anything. Alas I'm afraid she may be my only reader today as my own mother is away at a conference and I'm not really sure she's learned to navigate the Internet on her blackberry. I am in fact still trying to help her turn off the annoying read receipt on her email. It's a bit like the blind leading the blind.

Anyway, I'm midway through book one of a devilishly wonderful fiction trilogy. Oh I can't wait to finish. If the other two books are half as addicting as the first I may just have to do a review of each as I don't think I can bare to wait. A quick teaser can't hurt right? Its set in London at the turn of the 20th century and it details the life of a very well to do woman-- her marriage, unconventional career, family, hopes, dreams, fears and as I'm just discovering temptations.

Okay okay, back to the movie review...

Just as I expected, The September Issue was absolutely delicious!

The whole film was really just so interesting. Aside from the beautiful fashions (which there are enough to make anyone woman drool), it was a brilliant glimpse into the lives of such fascinating people. It is literally a visual run down of how they conceptualize, design, create, edit and finalize their most important magazine of the year.

As so many other reviewers have pointed out Grace Coddington, Vogue's Creative Director was a shining star in the film. She is shown to be charming, realistic, sensitive, sympathetic and clearly a creative genius. Her photo shoots are breathtaking -- fun, romantic, flirty and bold. I felt in so many ways the film sets her image against that of Anna Wintour, Vogue's Editor. Anna was portrayed (and quite rightly I'm sure) as a quiet, thoughtful (as in giving much thought not as is kind and generous of spirit), brilliant perfectionist. I think this is a fair comparison, because while the two smart, stubborn women are almost constantly at odds they obviously have a mutual and genuine respect for the other's talents.

I'm not at all sorry to say that I completely disagree with a number of the film's critics who say it was not a flattering portrayal of Mrs. Wintour. I didn't think she was, as some have described cast as the villain. It is her job and ultimately her responsibility to publish the best magazine, something she clearly takes very seriously.

Perhaps it's my own background that leads me to this conclusion. I have worked for a number of strong, smart, determined women who just also happen to demand perfection, as they see it. I have also worked in a field that often requires a 24 / 7 commitment. In politics, and especially in campaigns you are always on call -- on your weekends, your vacation, a birthday, and yes in some cases your wedding and honeymoon (oh yes, I have a wonderful friend who spent her honeymoon working in Iowa during the primary, she's a much better staffer than I, but I do love and respect her immensely!) If this is something that is intolerable best pick a different career because I don't see it changing anytime soon.

But back to the film... another highlight for me is Andre Leon Talley, Vogue's Editor At-large. He is a gregarious, over the top, entertaining bright shining light through out the film. A particularly favorite scene is Andre playing tennis, decked to the nines in Ralph Lauren attire, a diamond encrusted Piaget "tennis" watch and dramatically draped Louis Vuitton throw wrapped around his shoulders. Oh, and of course a LV racket holder and yes LV travel vanity to hold his bottled water. Such extravagance is so over the top that it actually comes off quite charming and not at all pretentious.

Over all I think this is a wonderfully entertaining film for anyone interested in fashion. It reminded me so much of why little girls love to play dress up and pretend to be princesses. It's a world of beautiful fantasy. Not a bad way to spend two hours on a Saturday morning.

Cheers,
Ouiser

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

V. jealous - The September Issue isn't playing in Memphis...so does that mean you will spill the book title? You can keep it a secret from your audience and email it to me :)

Ouiser B. said...

oh dear, sorry Mar! I'm sure it'll go to dvd pretty quickly! :)

finished the book last night, thinking about doing a review today. It was not at all as I had expected.