Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Recipe of the Week ~ Ouiser's Chicken Tortilla Soup



Do you hear that? It's faint I know but it's the sound of hands clapping wildly in a fit of astonishment. Their mine of course because this is the very first recipe that I created!!  I know shocking right? Cause I'm like awesome and stuff.

So in an attempt at full disclosure ~ why I'm bothering being honest I don't know, isn't that the point of a blog? its my word against ... no one else. Anyway, I did have two recipes that I used as inspiration but for the most part I went my own way. And even though I'm not usually one to "toot my own gahooganfloogan" (first person to name this 1980's tv reference wins a prize**) it was pretty darn tasty! So, here it is .... drum roll please... I'm serious, I'll wait * as fingers lightly tap laptop* okay that's better... Squueeeeeeel, I have my own recipe! 

Ousier's Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serves 2-4

1            Jalepeno
4           Cloves Garlic
1           Medium Sweet Onion
2 TBS   Olive Oil
1 TBS   Chili Powder
1 TBS   Cumin, ground
1 can    Rotel, with Cilantro
1 Qrt.   Chicken Stock
1 ½ lbs Chicken Breast
1 C      Water (optional-depending on how “soupy” you like)
3          Limes
¼  C    Fresh Cilantro, chopped
Corn Tortillas
Avocado
Mexican Cheese, shredded

Roast jalepeno and garlic in a sauté pan over medium heat. Do not add anything to the pan other then the pepper and garlic. Roast for about 10 mins, turning occasionally. Remove from heat, let cool and then finely chop both after removing stem from pepper and skin from garlic.

Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and roasted jalepeno and garlic. Cook for about 5 mins or until onion is translucent. Add chili powder, cumin, Rotel, chicken stock and chicken breast. Bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer for 20 mins or until chicken is cooked through. Remove Chicken and let cool, then shred and set aside.

Using an emersion blender/stick blender blend soup till smooth. Add shredded chicken, juice from 2 limes and most of the cilantro, leaving a little cilantro to top each soup bowl with.

Cut corn tortillas in half and then into strips. Lightly fry/sautee in a pan with a little olive oil or corn oil.

Serve Soup with Avocado slices, fried tortilla strips, cilantro, lime and shredded Mexican cheese. 

I served cheese quesadillas with this for dinner the other night and it was super filling and delicious. I hope if you've got some time on your hands you'll make this soon. And if you don't like it then clearly you must be making it wrong. 

Happy Slurping!

Cheers, 
Ouiser


** Prize: Your choice ~ a Thanksgiving Turkey sticker from Trader Joe's or small packet of crayons left over from a trip to church. Both of which my 20 month old son loves, so I know these are like super cool prizes. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like I can't name that TV show! Golden Girls, Rose Nieland (betty white)

Ouiser B. said...

Dear Anonymous,

Congrats!

I'd like to pretend that I don't know who you are but I have a VERY good guess.

So.... do you want a pack of partially used crayons or Turkey sticker? Gobble Gobble! :)

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to try it! Sounds really yummy--can you heat my applause

Craig said...

How is it without the avocado? I don't eat stuff that looks like...well you know...snot.

Ouiser B. said...

Yes by all means skip the avocado Willie!

And if it weren't for guacamole I probably would have never tried avocado either.