Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Obligatory Valentine's Day Post

Whether your tastes run toward the sappy and sentimental...


or to the sarcastic and sardonic...







Remember the day is about celebrating those you love!

Valentine's Day is one of those holidays I appreciate but have never relished. I mean for a number of my adult years I spent the evening with my very best girlfriends drinking wine, snacking on cheese and laughing... belly laughing. It's pretty hard to top that in my book, no matter what the people at Hallmark tell you.

So once DH and I started dating it wasn't as if I expected flowers (Note: flowers are always appreciated~ not just on holidays and special occasions) chocolate and smaltzy poetry. In fact I prefer to skip the overcrowded restaurant scene on Valentine's Day and instead have DH make dinner that night. He really is an amazing cook, slow and methodical but amazing nonetheless. He has the patience to make things I'd never attempt.

I thought I'd share a few fun gift ideas for your special someone or heck for yourself! When I was in college I instituted a rule that I always gave myself a special gift if I was single on Valentines Day. One year it was a pair of Feragamo heels, another year a David Yurman ring. Both of which I loved and clearly still remember even if I did leave the ring in a woman's restroom counter years later. Arrg!


Okay, so a leather bound book of love letters might be a weird gift to give one of your girlfriends but I am a sucker for Smythons and I thought this was so pretty and romantic. I wish I knew what letters it includes but nevertheless I think it's adorable and would make a really really sweet gift! Just imagine snuggling up to your special someone and reading to each other. Click here to purchase.


A day at a nice spa will certainly make that special someone glow inside and out!  A gift certificate to a nearby spa is a fun idea but if you want to go that extra mile, try booking the day for your sweetheart. You don't have to know what her favorite treatment is, just the fact that you took the time to pick a few treatments for her and scheduled them is a gift in itself! If you're in the DC area I highly recommend checking out Sugar House Day Spa. They are located in a beautiful old townhouse in the heart of old town and offer a wide aray of ways to pamper!

And if you allow for a little shopping afterwards check out Bellacara for fabulous makeup, skincare and candles and then stroll on down to Bloomers, an adorable little shop that sells underware, sleepware and loungeware. All of which is cute and flirty without being overly sexed-up (not that there's anything wrong with that). All three shops are within two blocks of each other.

If you're planning to spend the evening at home (like I am) why not pick up a special bottle of wine. Do you have a particular wine that you both love? Or had on a special occasion? DH and I do and I always gush when he surprises me with a bottle of ... mmmm, I'm not going to tell you. Some things just shouldn't be shared. :) But if you are in the Del Ray area, I implore you to stop by Daily Planet Wine. The staff is very friendly without being pushy and they are always up for talking wine and giving great recommendations.

And what is a Valentines Day with out dinner? Try taking a cooking class together! Sur La Table offers several different courses. I think the Southeast Asian Street Food Favorites looks delish! DH and I took the "Baby It's Cold Outside" class several years ago and I loved it! Not only did we have a great time it also showed me how much I enjoy cooking with DH ~ and a bottle of wine, natch.

I hope you've got a few good gift ideas from this post. And boys, (cause I like to pretend that boys sometime read this blog.. ha ha ha) girls like to know you put in some real thought and perhaps even a little effort. That matters much more than the amount of money you spend!

Happy Shopping!

Cheers, 
Ouiser

No comments: