Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Recipe of the Week ~ Banana Cream Pie & Vampire Excuses

Okay yeah, ummm I wasn't even sure if I should acknowledge the fact that I haven't blogged since Sunday, but let's be honest it's me and I can't help but over share.

So here's the deal... when I get sucked into a book (or in this case a series) I loose all ability to do much else but read. And yes, I've gotten sucked into ANOTHER vampire book series. I know I know, I swore to myself that I wasn't a "vampire" kinda girl and that Twilight was a one time thing. Well apparently after reading four, yes FOUR vampire series over the last seven months I'm finally admitting what DH has teased me about for months... I. Like. Vampire. Books. **drops head and sighs** 


Just a quick plug for the current book series, Morganville Vampire Series by Rachele Caine. The plot revolves around Claire Danvers, a brilliant sixteen year old college freshman at Texas Prairie University in Morganville who literally stumbles into serious trouble with every turn in this mysterious vampire ruled town. Luckily she finds refuge, friendship and first love in a house with three town rebels. This isn't as ummm, shall I say "risque" as the Southern Vampire Series but its action packed with a great story line and the romance is young and very sweet. There are seven books in the series (with the eighth coming out early this year) and I'm about to finish the second book later tonight. Thank goodness for my kindle! When I finished book 1 last night around midnight instead of responsibly going to bed I was able to feed my addition by ordering book 2 and starting it within 60 seconds. Gaaahhh how I love my kindle. Click here for more kindle lovin'.

Okay believe it or not today's post is in fact about food. In this case the BEST EVER Banana Creme Pie.  Early on in my relationship with DH I learned about his love of Banana Creme Pie so after several easy bake jello pudding pies complete with pre-made graham cracker crusts I decided it was time to "stretch my legs" so to speak. This recipe sounded complicated to me at first but having made it a number of times over the last few year it's become much easier. And since DH made a scrumptious Valentines Day dinner for me (Chinese Cashew Chicken!) I made this for dessert.

Recipe Credit: This came to me via Bon Appetite magazine from their RSVP section, which (if you aren't familiar with) is where they print recipes from restaurants that readers have requested. In this case it's from Memphis, Tennessee restaurant, McEwen's on Monroe. 

If you make this, please let me know what you think! I crave comments and am not afraid to ask for them!!

Banana Creme Pie
Crust
2 1/2 C    Graham Cracker crumbs (about 2 packages of crackers)
1/3 C       Sugar
1/4 C       Bananas, mashed
1/4 C       (1/2 stick) Unsalted Butter, melted


Filling
1/2 C      Sugar
1/3 C      Corn Starch
1/3 tsp    Salt
1 1/2 C   Whipping Cream
1 1/2 C   Whole Milk
3 large    Egg yolks
3 tsp       Vanilla (recipe calls for vanilla bean & extract but here I just increased the extract)
2            Ripe Bananas, peeled, cut in half and then cut into 1/4 inch slices.


For Crust: 
Preheat oven 350 degrees. Stir graham cracker crumbs, sugar & mashed bananas. Add melted butter and stir before pressing onto the bottom and up the sides of a 10-in glass pie dish. Bake crust 15 mins then cool completely before adding filling.


For Filling: 
Whisk sugar, cornstarch and salt in a large sauce pot. Whisk in whipping cream, whole milk, egg yolks and vanilla extract. Whisk over medium heat until custard thickens and boils (about 5 mins). Let custard cool completely, about an hour. 


Stir custard to loosen. Spread 1 Cup of custard on bottom of pie crust then top with a half of sliced bananas. Repeat layering with remaining custard and followed by banana slices. Chill pie until filling sets and crust softens slightly, at least 8 hours and up to one day. Add a layer of banana slices on top before serving. I also make homemade whip cream with a little sugar and vanilla extract to top of the pie.

Happy Baking!

Cheers, 
Ouiser

2 comments:

tanisesther said...

thanks for posting the recipe but I will never make it due to the fact that, once made, I would shove it down my throat in about 20 minutes. stopping just long enough to scoop marshmallow fluff out of the jar as my milk substitute.

Ouiser B. said...

OMG, I had totally forgotten about Fluff. mmmmm