Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Texas Oh Texas

I *think* I've mentioned that I'm packing up DH, Little Mister and Baby Deux and heading to the promised land (aka Texas) for the foreseeable future ~ which, by the way means 6 days. 


The reason for this adventure (our first time flying with BOTH boys) is for the wedding of a great family friend. The wedding itself is being held in a cute little country town but we'll be making several stops along the way, as we always do when visiting Texas. 


Whenever we go "home" I like to jam pack every moment with things I love to do, see and eat! We're starting in Houston at my Darling In-laws' home and because they are cocktailing in Cabo this week we'll have the whole house and pool to our selves for our own playtime and cocktailing. Then off to College Station to see Mamere's new country home as we make our way to the wedding. 


Oh did I mention we are leaving the babies?! Yep. We'll be spending two days in the country with out the kids. I'm equal parts irrationally excited and freakishly terrified. I mean I know that we need a weekend away but ummm, I also really don't want to leave the kids. sigh.. mommy guilt never goes away.


And since we'll be with in an hour or two of Austin DH has suggested on numerous occasions that we might consider making a stop for brunch at our all time favorite Tex- Mex restaurant. Nothing is for sure but it would be nice to sneak in for a morning margarita and the best enchiladas in the world. 


So in honor of this trip I thought I'd share my list of "Places to Go."


**Super Important Disclaimer: This is by no means a list of "Best of Texas" places. Although that's a great idea for a post for another day. This is just my list of favs for this trip!!! (IF Mr. G is reading this he's surely shaking his head. He always said I had a hard time with declarative statements.)**


Houston~ Avalon Stationary
I've been ordering my personal stationary from here for as long as I can remember. They couldn't be cuter or sweeter! And they have a fabulous stock of stationary and homewares. I'll also be picking up a baby book for Baby Deux. We purchased Little Mister's baby book here and I just love it!


Luby's
To be fair there are hundreds of Luby's around the state but since we'll have the most time while in Houston this is on the top of my list. If you grew up in Texas you know and love this cafeteria chain. Hellooo buttery rolls, fried fish and green beens swimming in butter oh how I've missed you. 


Houston Zoo
This is new to me but I'm seriously excited to visit! We're meeting one of my best friends and her daughter for some animal fun and apparently the best sliders in town. Yummy!


Austin ~ The big Maybe
IF we get the chance to head over to Austin (yes, my home town) there are soooo many things I want to do. However, we'll likely only be able to stop at Maudie's. This is with out a doubt the Best Ever Tex-Mex restaurant. I'm begging you to try it if you ever find yourself in Austin. Hands Down~ Best Margaritas, Best chips & queso & Best enchiladas.


And although the Austin leg of our trip is iffy at best there is a minute possibility we'll stay over night. If that happens I have to throw out two of my other favorites!


Mansion at Judges Hill
This is my favorite hotel to stay at when we visit for so many reasons. First it's adorable, quaint, historic and the staff is so friendly! Secondly the location (at MLK & Guadalupe) can not be beat! I'm all twitchy waiting to hear if I should call to make the reservation. Oh and their room rate is VERY reasonable, which is an added bonus.


The Menagerie
You've heard me wax poetical about this most fabulous shop too many times to count. But I do try to pop in and say hello to owner Vickie whenever I can. And if I just happen to find something (or 20 somethings) that I can't live with out well that's okay too. 


And, although we're a little late for the peak of bluebonnet season, I'm hoping to see a few of these iconic State flowers along the way. 


So there you have it ~ my week's plan! As you can see the Ouiser brood and I will be busy for the next week so I'm not sure when/if I'll have time to update. But I'll have my laptop and camera with me so perhaps I'll do a followup post complete with pics next week. 


Cheers, 
Ouiser


PS Today, I'm making risotto balls for this month's Girls Supper. If they turn out perhaps I'll share the recipe tommorrow. 

7 comments:

Archer said...

I have bad childhood memories of the Lubys in Amarillo. My parents would let me get anything I wanted (green jello) as long as I ate it all. Inevitably, I would pretend to pass out on the table when it got to the point that I couldn't eat any more and we would battle for at least 20 minutes. This happened every time...

Ouiser B. said...

First HELLO Mr. Archer!! So nice to see you on the blog. Please give your adorable wife and precious baby boy hugs and kisses for me!!

Okay... YES I totally know what you mean about being forced to eat everything. As a kid I always wanted to get things a la cart but my mom would make me order the luanne platter. I never finished it EVER but I always dreamed of piling my tray full of a la cart nibbles. Jello included! :)

tanisesther said...

ok well now I have to add my .02

first, I have to strongly disagree on the "best queso in town". I know, blasphemous. My heart will always belong to Bob Armstrong (Matt's El Rancho for those non-native Austinites). I find the queso at Maudies to be too bland and runny.

I have fond memories of Luby's too! I would go with my next door neighbor and her grandmother (at 4pm for dinner, no doubt) and always get the same thing. Grilled Fish, spinach, mac n' cheese, corn and those delicious rolls. The grandmother would point to her granddaughter and say "see? she makes healthy choices!" ...little did she know that half my teeth would host cavities in the next 10 years. Desserts = pure happiness. Especially the lemon meringue pie at Luby's! great, now I am salivating on my keyboard!

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Fun! Hope you have a fantastic time.

Maudie's is, of course, one of my & the AH's favorites. I've been drowning my margarita-free sorrows (sorrows about being margarita-free, that is) in their queso, which is a pretty good second best. Whenever you're in Austin for a longer stretch and I'm back in the tequila business, I'll meet you for one (or three)!

Keep meaning to make it to the Mansion, and I'll add the Menagerie to my cute local stores to investigate list.

Ouiser B. said...

OMG how did I forget about Bob Armstrong dip. OM NOM NOM NOM

tanisesther said...

Maudie's does have the best margaritas though!! Try a Joe's...but only 1. Those things are lethal.

Ouiser B. said...

It's a date Ms. Legally Blond.

We *fingers crossed* may be back for a week in August.