Monday, November 30, 2009

Did I Miss Christmas Already?!


Hope you all had a wonderful weekend filled with family and food... lots of food! I'm thinking I might just toss out my scale till after the holidays. That or maybe I should go in the opposite direction and start weighing in every morning as a good reminder to behave? Okay, lets be honest after Turkey day leftovers and sipping on my father-in-law's intoxicatingly delicious egg nog last night it'll probably be the former but on to bigger issues than my post baby weight... Christmas! Eek gad its here already.

It's amazing to me that even though we've hardly had time to clean up after Thanksgiving dinner much less finish all the left over turkey and dressing I already feel behind the ball with my Christmas prep. I realize that we did celebrate Turkey Day two days after the rest of the country but still ... how is it that I blinked and all of a sudden I'm late for Christmas? I even got an email from a (not to be named) massive online vendor that I only had one more week of "guaranteed to deliver by Christmas" free shipping.

With the new baby's arrival (note: must come up with cute baby names for the blog-- mmm, something else for my to do list, *sighs loudly*) there are more than a few things I've put on hold for the sake of my sanity and generally I'm okay with that.


This year for example we will not have the enormous gigantor tree that I foolishly fall in love with every year and then have to listen to all of DH's reasons as to why it is impractical. Piiishaw I say, we can always trim the branches. No, this year we're going with a baby tree.

I should mention, that we had really high ceilings in my house as a child so we could accommodate the 13 ft. trees. However, this is not so much the case in our present home. And of course we have a very curious 18 month old boy who'd love nothing more than to shake off every last needle from the tree, giggling like mad the entire time.

At least that would mean he'd be shaking something other than his baby brother's bassinet. And no I'm not kidding. We've essentially created a furniture barricade around the bassinet but some how that little munchkin slips and slides his way around it all if we aren't paying attention. It's so nice my child loves his little brother so much. (please note sarcasm)

I've lost my train of thought again haven't I? Well that's no surprise as I wondered around the house for about 5 minutes this morning looking for my coffee forgetting what I was looking for no less than three times over the course of said 5 minute period.

I'm pretty sure I was talking about Christmas...So here's my question. Are you an early bird shopper? or last minute deal grabber? I soooo want to be the early bird, but something tells me this year all my gifts will be ordered online and *fingers crossed* before Christmas Eve.

Mamere (that's my mom incase you're new to reading this blog) is definitely an early bird. She informed me last week that she'd just completed all her Christmas shopping. Arrgh, I hadn't even started my list. Mmm, lists... how I do love lists, especially in excel. Nothing better than sorting, highlighting, color coding, bolding and italicizing. Did that just sound as nerdy as I think it did? Well I can't help it, I LOVE lists!

I managed to get my Christmas card list and a proof of our Christmas card done last night, now I just need to get a good picture of the boys. Of course this will be the real challenge. I'm tempted to just send out the one with my older son pointing at the baby and looking at the camera like .. who's this kid? and more importantly when is he leaving? but I'm not sure everyone on our list would get the humor of it.


This year I'm just going to accept my lack of time & energy and enjoy the season, soaking up every song on the "Sounds of the Season" channel ~ probably driving DH mad in the process. Relishing in addressing and writing notes on my holiday cards. And best of all wrapping presents! oh golly, I do love a well wrapped present. I'm sounding weird again aren't I?

Okay, on that note I'm off to nap as one son is finally in his crib for some quite time and my wonderful mother in law is watching my wee little one. yiippee!

Cheers,
Ouiser

2 comments:

Sandi said...

speaking of Christmas shopping, you should be begin receiving boxes marked "Do NOT open til Christmas."

I haven't done the Christmas cards yet. That is next on my list.

I guess I wanted to be sure I didn't end up dragging a huge bag of gifts on the plane to DC on the 23rd. So I had a lot of motivation to get that done. Besides buying toys for my grandsons is about the most fun I've had in years.

marilyn said...

my cute girlfriend calls her 2 little girls "sugar" and "spice" on her blog - i love that! Too bad boys would have to be "toads" and "snails"...that wouldn't be very nice :)