Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Recipe of the week ~ Caramelized Onion, Blue Cheese & Rosemary Chicken Pasta


Happy Recipe Wednesday Everyone!!

I love Wednesdays not only because it marks the half way point till the weekend, but it also offers the food section in the Washington Post. Aside from the wedding section (which had vastly improved over the last few months) the food section is my favorite feature of the Post. It's got great little articles and tips and most of the time there are at least one or two recipes that I want to try. The recipe I'm sharing today was originally taken from a WP feature-- Dinner in under 30 mins. And although it's from about 7 years ago, it's undeniably delicious. One of my family's favorite pasta dishes. Even my picky little eater had some of my leftovers for lunch the next day.

If you know me at all you will know that I'm quite sentimental and very emotional about everything! Yes, that's right, I'm a cryer. I'm the girl that crys during the Christmas Folger's commercial when the college student surprises his mom with a visit and some coffee. Yep this is the one...




And don't even get me started on the animal cruelty ad featuring "In the Arms of an Angel" by Sara McLaughlin. I am literally a puddle of tears in the 2 seconds it takes to scramble for the remote. And of course being pregnant has taken this condition to a whole other level. I'm not kidding when I say that DH often times has to sensor what I watch lest I become a blubbering mess.

So, needless to say I get sentimental thinking about the days when DH and I were first dating. He is of course still a total sweetheart but there's something so wonderful about the "firsts" in your relationship. This is the first meal that DH ever made for me and so it will always be a wonderful reminder of that evening and that very special time in my life. Thank goodness its exceptionally yummy... I mean what if he'd made sauerkraut? I'm not saying we wouldn't have ended up together or anything but... ick ick ick.

It's also nice that this is a super easy recipe that you can whip together in less than an hour and pair it with a salad for a scrumptious weeknight dinner.

As a disclaimer I should mention that I didn't make my own pasta for this recipe as the above picture might lead you to believe... but... that's not to say you shouldn't try it some time. On a weekend of course! Making your own pasta is a very messy first time project but I think it's sooo delicious!!! And it's so much fun to play around in the kitchen especially if you can get your spouse or significant other or heck a best friend in there with you to help even better! Grab a bottle of wine (or two) and make a Friday night into a great memory. The left overs are almost just as tasty so make a full recipe even if you're only cooking for two!

Caramelize Onion, Blue Cheese & Rosemary Chicken Pasta
Serves 4 dinner portions

1 lbs. Pasta (Orecchiette, fussilliee or farfalle are best)

4 Large Sweet Onions
2 TBS Butter, unsalted
2 TBS Olive Oil
1 ½ lbs. Chicken Breast
4 tsp Fresh Rosemary, finely chopped
4-6 oz. Blue Cheese (gorgonzola works too)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Cook Pasta as directed. Thinly slice the onions (I love using my mandolin for this teary task). Heat the olive oil and butter over medium low heat, add onions and cook until caramelized about 30 mins. You may need to lower the heat to be sure the onions do not brown to quickly.


While watching the onions, flatten chicken breasts to ¼ in and season with salt and pepper. Broil or saute the chicken turning once. Cook time should be about 10 mins. Once the chicken has cooled, cut into strips or chop into 1 inch bites and mix with the fresh chopped rosemary and set aside.

Once the pasta is done, drain and mix with the chicken mixture and the cheese. Toss to Combine. Cover and set aside for a moment or two while the cheese melts.

Add the caramelized onions and season with salt and pepper if needed.

Happy Cooking!! Or in Italiano... Cucinare felice!


Cheers,
Ouiser

4 comments:

easy recipes said...

Do you think I can make this recipe with beef?

Ouiser B. said...

You know, I'd never thought of that but I don't know why you couldn't. Perhaps a skirt steak or flat iron steak sliced thin would be a nice addition. Let me know if you try it and like it! Another wonderful variation.

Sandi said...

Does the Folgers commercial make you think of your house in about sixteen years with Colin and Will coming home from college for Christmas? No wonder you are crying.

Ouiser B. said...

I'm pretty sure it's just because I'm a total sap! :) But, now that you mention it I'm so not okay with the boys leaving home... I guess I'll have 17 and 18 years to get okay with it though.