Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!


As I sit here watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade and sipping on what is probably my fourth cup of coffee I'm kinda sad. But this cartoon did make me laugh...

As many of you know I just had our second baby boy a couple of weeks ago and my wonderful inlaws are arriving tomorrow afternoon to spend a week or two with us to help out. Note: I'm extremely grateful for their help!!! But, this means DH and I decided to forgo making a big fuss about Thanksgiving dinner today and instead are doing the big meal on Saturday.

This is of course the rational and practical decision and I totally realize that. Having said that (anyone see the finale of Curb your Enthusiam? tee hee hee) since I'm neither practical nor rational I'm all grumpy and wishing I was in the kitchen fixing all our traditional favorites a la Norman Rockwell ...

Instead in a "what was I thinking" moment, I actually planned to defrost some salmon to make for dinner tonight. Ummm, I don't think so. We may not be having Turkey and all the fixings today but there is no way I'm serving something from our freezer. Thank goodness Harris Tetter is open all day today! We are going to have something homemade if it kills me. And it just might as I'm seriously contemplating packing up my 1 1/2 year old son and my 3 week old son and heading out to the store. Is that crazy? Yeah probably.

DH (who incidentally is visiting his Uncle and grandmother for lunch today-- what a good boy!) logically asked me how I would have room in the cart for food with both boys but I can't be bothered by rational problems like that. Nor can I be concerned with what shoddy reminents will be left in the stores today. At least I know I can't go wrong with canned green beans, canned mushroom soup and of course French's fried onions. Perhaps I'll throw in some sweet potatoes and make a dinner of side dishes. Those are my favorite after all.

I know I've been WAY behind on sharing recipes with you so I promise to make up for that next week. We are trying all new recipe's this year, again this may end up being a "what were you thinking" mistake but at least it'll be an interesting twist. So if any of the new dishes work out I'll share some them.

And all joking aside, I feel very lucky this year to share the day with my "Darling Husband" and our two precious sons. I hope you are enjoying this day to it's fullest! 

Now log off and go grab a big glass of wine, over eat, watch football, bicker and laugh with your family. That's what this day is for right? :)

Cheers & Love,
Ouiser

No comments: