Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Recipe of the week ~ Turkey Meatloaf ~ No Really It's the Best Ever!

Do you have a culinary icon? Someone that is both an inspiration in the kitchen and in life? For me it's with out a doubt Ina Garten, aka the Barefoot Contessa.

Aside from the fact that she and her adorable husband Jeffrey started out their marriage living in DC and working for the federal government (a la DH and myself) she also embodies the type of cook and entertainer I strive to be. She radiates happiness and I imagine her parties to be welcoming, unstuffy (is that a word?) and comfortably elegant. And of course her cooking is divine without being pretentious. She takes the best ingredients and makes simple, delicious food.

I have almost all her cookbooks and literally (I'm not kidding) every recipe I've tried has become an instant "new family favorite". How frequently can you say that? Usually there are a few stand out recipes but EVERY recipe? That's rare.

Side Note: Having raved about her cookbooks, if you only ever buy one cookbook it should be the Joy of Cooking. It has EVERYTHING you will ever need. It's the best comprehensive cookbook I've ever seen.

However if you are looking for a fun gift for the entertainer or home cook on your list any of Ina's cookbooks would be a huge hit I'm sure. A couple of my personal favorites are The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook and The Barefoot Contessa Parties.


Okay back to Ina and her meatloaf. I bet you were wondering when I'd get to the recipe. :)


If you are anything like me, you didn't grow up liking meatloaf... at all! I'm guessing mamere didn't much care for it either as I don't recall having it all that often. Perhaps it was the green peppers or maybe it was all that ketchup or maybe even the oddly molded shape but until I discovered this recipe I just assumed meatloaf was something I didn't like. Sorta like sloppy joes but I digress.

Leave it to the one and only Ina Garten to make an absolutely delicious and (kinda) healthy meatloaf. I've made this for family dinners, pot lucks and even for dinner parties to rave reviews. This recipe makes a ton but before you consider cutting it in half it also makes incredible left overs.

Its rainy and cold here in DC this week and as my in laws have returned to Texas I'm on my own for dinner planning. I'm thinking about making this recipe over the weekend for DH and I. There will be plenty of left overs for a night or two next week when the best I can do is pour myself a big glass of wine and relax after the kiddos are asleep.

Turkey Meatloaf
serves 8-10

3 C Yellow Onions, chopped (I prefer sweet onions)
2 TBS Olive Oil
2tsp Kosher Salt
1tsp freshly ground pepper
1tsp fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 tsp dried)
1/3 C Worcestershire sauce
3/4C Chicken Stock
1 1/2 tsp Tomato Paste
5 lbs Ground turkey breast
1 1/2 C plain dry Bread Crumbs
3 extra-large eggs, beaten
3/4C Ketchup

Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.

In a medium saute pan heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add Onions, Salt & Pepper and Thyme. Cook until onions are translucent but not brown, about 10-15 mins. Add Worcestershire Sauce, Chicken Stock and Tomato Paste. Mix well. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temp.

Combine the Turkey, Bread Crumbs, Eggs & Onion mixture in a very large bowl. Mix well and shape into a rectangular loaf on an ungreased baking sheet. Spread the ketchup evenly on top. Bake for an hour and a half or until internal temp is 160 degrees.

Ina Note: A pan of hot water in the oven under the meat loaf will keep the top from cracking.


If you try it please let me know how your family liked it!

Happy Cooking!

Cheers,
Ouiser

1 comment:

Sandi said...

The Waldemar meatloaf recipe gets raves from all who eat it. It has NO ketchup, is moist and tasty! It does have green peppers and celery which is what I believe gives it its moist flavorful taste. I chop the green peppers and celery in my 1 cup food processor so no one knows they are there.