Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Holiday Wrap Up with Something Sweet


As I dropped of my dear mamere at the airport yesterday I realized that yet again I'd ignored the blog this week. I mean I can't feel too bad, I wasn't just sitting around twiddling my thumbs, although having the time to do some thumb twiddling might be a nice change of pace. I did have a wonderful Christmas with Mamere, DH and our two little ones filled with way too many presents, too much food and juuust the right amount of wine!

DH even managed to film and upload several videos to our son's blog from Christmas day which as it turns out is quite a feat since allegedly I was heard complaining about the dificulty in opening almost every single toy on the videos. Apparently it took a lot of editing on his part. What can I say I'm anti plastic ties. Can the toy stores really loose that much money to stolen items? I find it hard to believe but then again I'm not willing to do the research either. I'd rather just complain loudly about it while hacking away at the security grade plastic keeping my son from his newest favorite toy and of course leaving my hands cut and bloody. But this really isn't the direction I wanted today's post to go in so...

In short, I hope you had a wonderful holiday with your family and friends. Tis the season to celebrate excess! And if you've been following this model, you aren't alone I've been doing my fair share of excessive baking and eating sweets for the last week. I had hoped my sweet tooth would go away after my pregnancy but she's still here and she's super bossy! So here is an extra yummy recipe for the next time you need to bring a sweet treat to a party or PTA meeting.

Note: this recipe is from one of my favorite cook books, The Bride & Groom First and Forever Cookbook. It is fabulous!!! and can be purchased at Amazon.com.

Caramel Candy Brownies
Makes 12


1 1/2 C  Semisweet Chocolate Chips
3/4 C     Unsalted Butter (1 1/2 sticks), cut into small pieces
3            Eggs
3/4 C     Sugar
1/4 tsp   Kosher Salt
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
2/3 C     All Purpose Flour
3/4 C     Caramel Squares, coarsely chopped


Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set rack in center of oven. Butter and flour an 8 inch square metal baking dish. (I used glass because I don't have a metal one and they turned out just fine!) 


Combine Chocolate chips and butter in a double boiler and set in sauce pan with 2 inches of simmering water. Melt the chocolate and butter, stirring until smooth, about 2-5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool till lukewarm.


Combine eggs, sugar and salt in a small saucepan over low heat. Whisk until the sugar melts and mixture is frothy, about 2 mins. Pour the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture, add the vanilla and stir. Whisk in the flour until just incorporated. 


Spread batter evenly in the baking dish and sprinkle caramel candy evenly over the batter. Bake for 23-30 mins. Do not overcook!


Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely in the pan before cutting into squares.

Happy Baking!


P.S. don't worry about calories, they don't start counting till  Jan.1st!


P.P.S. If you are wondering why there are no links attached it's because this is my first post on my new computer (THANK YOU MAMERE!) and I don't know how to copy and paste. Yes, that's right I said it... can't copy and paste. Am so not a tech genius today.


Cheers, 
Ouiser

No comments: