Friday, December 11, 2009

1980's Flashback

Happy Friday... If you can get through the randomness of my post there's a delicious little video surprise at the end.

As I sit here watching my son press his nose to the television while watching his favorite show (Super Why in case you're curious) I can't help but wonder where this obsession with the television came from... (rhetorical question, it's ME of course)

I have after all made some pretty serious life altering decisions based on a current movie obsession.



Example #1 Dead's Poets Society. Afterwhich I became obsessed with the idea of leaving home (Austin, Texas) to attend boarding school on the east coast. About 6 months later, several long conversations with my mother and one trip to visit my options I was off to a very small town in the middle of Connecticut. God, you should have seen what I wore the first day, I was a preppy nightmare in jeans, brown suede loafers (no socks, natch), a purple & white polo with a matching purple blazer. And as luck would have it I curiously picked the only school in the tri-state area where preppy was decidedly uncool. I stuck out like a sore thumb that whole year. Thankfully I was returned to my rightful place in public school by my junior year with only a little bit of flannel and alternative angst to show for it.



Example #2 St. Elmo's Fire. Yep, Judd Nelson literally drove me to Washington DC. No it wasn't Rob Lowe... I always tended to prefer the unfavorable characters, think James Spader not Andrew McCarthy. Anyway, yes the degree in Poli Sci helped but it was Judd Nelson that I was in search of. As some sort of self-loathing Democrat I was in search of the adorably arrogant Republican (minus the whole cheating thing of course). And you might say that I found him in DH. (by the way I totally meant arrogant in a good way sweet heart!)



And then of course there have been a number of movies that have made me seriously WANT to do something... thankfully DH has been able to shake some sense into me on a number of occasions. Like when I decided I'd be the best NFL head coach after watching Any Given Sunday. Speaking of which why aren't their any female head coaches? I think that'd WAY more fun than being the President... but that's just me.


And then there was The Thomas Crown Affair (the remake). THUD... there went my heart. That is one HOT movie by the way. Anyway, where was I? Yes, Rene Russo....I thought for sure if I studied antique art appraisal I could become her character... basically an international bounty hunter with a designer wardrobe. I even went as far as to apply (and be accepted) into the Art Appraisal School here in DC.






I know this is long and rambling but if you've read any of my posts you've come to expect it... so here's my point, It's late on a Friday and I wanted to share the link to some fabulous clips of iconic movie songs and film clips from the 1980's. Think Karate Kid, The Goonies, Gostbusters and The Breakfast Club.

I can't take credit for putting the list together but I have no problem passing it along. This is from a tweet I received earlier today from the hilarious "our kitchen sink". You can follow them on twitter here if you aren't you should be! And if you are so inclined you can follow me on twitter here.

Here's a one video teaser... I'm going to sit back with my large glass of wine and enjoy. Wasn't Val Kilmer a hottie in 1986? With a jaw line like this one could even say he was the RPatzz of the '80's. Oh and have you seen the Saint? Umm, yeah not only did Val Kilmer make me drool, it also made me want to be an international spy.

If you like what you see you should totally check out the full post, 12 Songs That Define 80's Cinema from http://www.chicagonow.com/.







Cheers,
Ouiser

No comments: