Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Recipe of the Week ~ Baked Cheese Grits

** Nervously looks around **


Shhhhh, this week's recipe is top secret! It's from Mamere's kitchen and I don't think she'd be thrilled if I gave it away. However, call it childish rebellion but since she has chosen to toddle off to Italy (Rome and Ovieto) for the next three weeks with out me I figure she'll never know! So, if you know me and Mamere in real life just don't go bragging to her about it anytime soon. That's just plain tacky. 


*Note: Dearest MIL, this doesn't pertain to you since she willingly offered you the recipe!


Mamere has been making these grits for as long as I can remember in this beautiful old blue glass covered baking dish. And just like the old green bowl I used to make Ms. Linda's Thanksgiving rolls, I can't picture these grits without that blue dish. 


My main memory about them (other than the fact that they are delish!) is that they take forever to cool after baking. So, being the petulant child I was I would always wait till my mother left the kitchen and then I'd run my finger around the edge of the grits while they were still cooling. Now they were super hot and I would inevitably burn my finger and my tongue BUT it was worth it! And because they hadn't set yet the grits would re-settle and Mamere was never the wiser. Or so I'm guessing. The older I get I'm learning that she was more aware of my mischievous behavior than I was aware of at the time. And I'm not just talking grits. I guess mother's always know!


I hope that you make these sometime for your family and that you enjoy them as much as I did and do!


Baked Cheese Grits
Serves 10 as a side dish
Bake for 45 mins in a 350 degree oven

5 C Boiling Water
1 tsp Salt
2/3 C uncooked quick cooking white grits
1 15 1/2 oz Can yellow hominy
1/2 C Butter or margarine
2 C Shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese

Stir grits into boiling water and add salt. Return to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 4-5 mins stirring occasionally.

Stir in hominy, butter and cheese. Spoon into a lightly greased baking dish (13x9x2). Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake for 45 mins or until set. It will need to cool for at least 15-30 mins before serving.





Happy Baking!


Cheers, 
Ouiser

2 comments:

Sandi said...

Oh Oh Oh!
So you think Im not keeping up. A word to the wise (and I know now that you are mother, you are wise) A mother always knows!

Ma mere (in Italy)

Sandi said...

I miss your blogs!