Monday, August 31, 2009

I Capture the Castle ~ Book Review


The family returned home yesterday afternoon from our first family trip to the beach. We had a wonderful time with some really great friends... lots of food, books, swimming and of course libations (don't worry mom, only one a day for me) and I even played a little beer pong. That's right, I said beer pong. Of course we had a designated drinker for when I lost a point. I'm sad to say that my sobriety didn't give me much of an edge on the competition at all. Who knew DH was so good at ping pong??

But I digress... on to the book review. As I mentioned in my last post I had planned to discuss a three book fantasy adventure series but once I actually finished the books I wasn't wild about them and since I really do want to keep this blog about things I love, I hated to write anything negative. Luckily I finished another book last night when we got home, one that I really really like and am so pleased to share it with you this morning!

I Capture the Castle was written and first published in the mid 1940's and is set in a small village outside of London in the late 1930's. It's author, Dodie Smith passed away in 1990 but in addition to being a successful play write she also authored the children's story The hundred and one Dalmatians, later made famous by Disney. She even had a Dalmatian named Pongo. What a wonderful reminder of how inspirational a puppy can be! Oh I just can't wait till our kiddos are "off the floor" so we can add a puppy to our family. We've (well at least I have) decided since I'm now the only girl to THREE boys we must add a girl dog to the family. I've already picked out a name and breed, but I think I've veered off point again....

So, I was a little unsure about how I'd like I Capture the Castle as it isn't at all in the same genre of books I've been reading recently, thankfully I was completely wrong. The writing is wonderfully heartfelt and imaginative and because it's written as if it's a personal journal, it feels very intimate. The story centers around Cassandra Mortmain, a young girl who lives with her family in a dilapidated old castle in a village outside of London. Her father is a once famous writer who has had quite an extended bout of writer's block. In an attempt to teach her self the art of writing she begins a personal journal which chronicles her life and her impressions of those around her. The characters are all wonderfully described. It's rare for me to truly like every character in a book, it is almost as if you need a foil for a good story. This book is an exception, I really did care for and like every character although they are all so very different. Of course I had my favorites, oh sweet Stephen I just adore him.

As the "story" progresses the reader experiences all that Cassandra does over an eight month journey. Even now, I have a hard time realizing what a remarkable amount happens during these eight months. Her family's story is fascinating in it's own right but getting to witness as she grows from a naive and fanciful child to a wise young lady is most endearing. It really is a lovely and enchanting story of right and wrong, changing times, first loves and losses. It is truly a timeless novel.

I do hope that if you find yourself looking for a good read that you'll pick it up.

Now, on to a lot of laundry--unpacking and repacking as we are off again this Thursday to spend the Labor Day weekend with DH's whole family! (well almost, one of us has just started college and who could leave their first real weekend? I wouldn't dream of asking that~ too much fun!!) Don't worry I'll be sure to post a few gems between now and then!


Cheers,
Ouiser

No comments: