Friday, August 21, 2009

Football Fever Begins...




Fall is my favorite time of year for a number of reasons, but one in particular is football season! As a good southern girl, I was raised to love football. And growing up in Austin I paid little attention to the NFL, other then attending the occasional Oilers game when we were in Houston. Why bother when you had the Longhorns just down the street?

However, I married a serious Chicago Bears fan (gratuitous excuse to insert- the '85 Superbowl shuffle) so I've been forced into watching a number of NFL games and to be fair, I do recognize how and why some people prefer the NFL. To me it's like comparing apples and oranges, they are really so different. Which is a nice way of saying I like college better, but do actually enjoy watching some NFL games even if I occasionally blurt out "why is the clock still running, they got the first down?"

So, last night I put down down my book and watched a "new to me" show ~ HBO: Hard Knocks Training Camp with the Cincinnati Bengals with DH. I found it completely fascinating! As a girl, I am always looking for the likable character in any story. This one has plenty! Not only is it an interesting look behind the scenes of every aspect of the team - players, families, coaches and management. Its also a really cool look at the players personalities.

My favorite part was actually off the field. They showed Tank Johnson attempting to put together his daughters' new bunk bed, this of course after a full day's work out. I was rolling I was laughing so hard, of course my mind immediately went to my own memory of DH putting together our son's swing set and the problems that ensued.

There is a hilarious bit with Carson Palmer talking to his center about trying to "keep clean" because after practice he noticed the top of his hand reeked. I won't go any further than that, but again hilarious.

I love getting to know the players' personalities because for me it will make watching the games this fall all the more interesting. I know I'll be routing for Tank Johnson and Chris Henry (He's got a great story!) whenever we catch a Cincinnati game.

The show airs on HBO, Wednesdays at 10pm and although the series is already in week 3, like everything else you can always go to HBO on demand to catch up on the past two episodes this weekend.

I hope you'll watch and enjoy as I have!


Cheers,
Ouiser


No comments: