Monday, April 11, 2011

The National Gallery of Art

One of my oldest and dearest friends (not to mention one of the three people reading my blog) was in town last weekend with her adorable husband and his parents enjoying the famed cherry blossoms. While we were catching up over cocktails they mentioned they'd been to the National Gallery. Unable to contain my excitement I blathered on for the next 20 mins about how fabulous the museum was. Which led me to today's post.

Hands down The National Gallery of Art is my favorite museum in Washington DC. Their permanent collection is outstanding not to mention the sculpture garden next door is a frequent rest stop and lunch break for the boys and I.

Image: Canaletto, The Square of Saint Mark's, Venice, 1742/1744, Gift of Mrs. Barbara HuttonThere are two traveling exhibits that are really a must see, the first Venice: Canaletto and His Rivals was amazing. And I could go on and on about how much I enjoyed how the artists played with perspective and dimension but I really am trying to keep my posts brief! It will be on display until May 30th, 2011.

The second is Gaugin: Maker of Myth, which is on display until June 5, 2011. I haven't been yet but my friends went and really enjoyed his unique perspective. You may have even heard about the recent attack on one of the paintings in this exhibit. I am horrified by the act no matter the reasoning. Here is the painting, Two Tahitian Women that a woman attempted to destroy, luckily no damamge was done.

And lastly, my favorite exhibit is From Impressionism to Modernism: The Chester Dale Collection, on display through January 2, 2012. To be fair the collection was gifted to the museum by Chester & Maud Dale in 1962, however its the first time it has been presented as such in forty-five years. Needless to say it speaks volumes about their love and respect for art and the artists. Here are a few of my favorites. Oh and although the companion exhibit, Ex Libris: Chester Dale is closed you can view the gallery of highlights here. It is an amazing look at his relationship with so many artists including photographs of their home and personal sketches artists created for the Dales.



Hope these make your Monday a little brighter, enjoy!

Image:
Eugene Boudin, The Beach at Villerville, 1864

Image:
Mary Cassatt, The Boating Party, 1893-94

Image:
Claude Monet, The Houses of Parliament, Sunset, 1903

Image:
Henri Matisse, The Plumed Hat, 1919

Cheers, 
Ouiser

1 comment:

tanisesther said...

EEEKKKKK!! thought I'd jump over to your blog to look for updates and what do I get? I whole bunch of new ones! I am sorry I have not come by since I pestered you in DC! I forgot to mention that I did see your favorite Monet (parliament), thought of you and smiled. what a treat to then spend time with you and the Mr!!