Thursday, November 4, 2010

My Latest Book Obsession~ Museum: Behind the Scenes at the Metropolitan Museum of Art

Okay, so I'll admit the title isn't exactly winning any friends. It sounds more like the title I'd give a high school paper that had a word count requirement.  But title aside this is one of the best books I've read in years, years I tell ya! And I read all the time.

The author, Danny Danziger interviews more than fifty employees, contractors, volunteers, curators and trustees of New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art for this book. The group couldn't be more diverse, from their backgrounds, professions, personal interests and even their beliefs on art and the museum, the basis of their connection.

Each of the interviews is written in a way that gives the reader a feeling of comfortably chatting with each person while gaining a glimpse into their fascinating lives. Some you just know are going to be great, like Vice Chairman of the Board, Annette de la Renta and Museum Director and CEO Philippe de Montebello while others are a warm surprise like Senior Fire Safety Officer, William Westfield who speaks passionately about his respect for his brother, a fellow fire fighter and all those who fought and died on September 11th.

Monet's Gare Saint-Lazare
I was particularly touched by Juan Aranda, a cleaner at the Met for nearly forty years. Immigrating in 1968, he talks about "owing everything I have to this country and this museum." After a lifetime of hard work he has been able to build the home of his dreams on the beach in his native Honduras and where he plans to retire.

Not every interviewee is as charming but every singe one is fully dedicated to the museum. I was floored by that. Imaging interviewing a cross section of employees at your office. Would everyone feel their life's dedication to the company's success?

Vermeer's Maid Asleep
I also enjoyed hearing from several of the curators and trustees on their philosophy on maintaining and sharing their collections with the public. While I agree it's important to get the public in the doors I do think the museum has a responsibility to educate those coming in as well as entertaining them. It's a thin line to walk for sure.

I truly hope that this has peaked your interest enough to pick up a copy. {just click the pretty little link below} I bought mine on my kindle but I will likely buy a hard copy as well. This is definitely a book I will go back and reread.

And I want to thank profusely the uber talented and (second) best hugger I know, Ms. Tanis for recommending this book to me! *kisses*

Happy Reading!

Cheers, 
Ouiser 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't it drive you crazy when the Kindle version is a couple bucks more than the hardcover?