Monday, November 8, 2010

Butternut Squash Kugel

One of the many reasons I love twitter is the group of women I've met through a mutually shared ... umm ... errr ... love-hate relationship with Twilight. Mr. O would probably say otherwise but I can really only discuss Twilight for so many hours before I digress to other topics. Usually the discussion turns to our kids, husbands, jobs and the crazy guy on the metro.

In the case of today's recipe it was a "whatcha cookin tonight" chat. I have two lovely, sweet and funny as hell fellow mom friends who educate me on a whole host of things including their faith, Judaism and some of their traditions. Lets call them Mrs. R and Mrs. Z, they are always around to answer questions and make me laugh. So when they both suggested making a kugel as a side dish I was more than a bit confused. I thought kugel was a dessert, turns out I was thinking of ruglua. Who knew? Okay, apparently a lot of people know the difference. {blushing}

Our farmers market is full of butternut and acorn squash this time of year so after playing around with a few recipes I came up with a butternut squash kugel that was a huge hit with my boys. Both Mr. O and Little Mister were fans, as was Baby Deux but to be fair he'll eat anything and when I say "eat" I really mean "gobble up with the enthusiasm of a man starving."

This works as a great seasonal side dish and the mild flavor would go well with turkey!

Happy Fall Baking!

Butternut Squash Kugel
Serves 6 as a side


1 lbs butternut squash, roasted and chopped
1/3 C butter
2/3 C all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 C sugar
1/3 C 2% milk (plus extra as needed)
1 tsp vanilla extract
ground cinnamon, for dusting
*Optional 6 oz. No Yolk noodles


Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees


Mash together the butter and butternut squash in a large bowl. Whisk together the flour, eggs, sugar, milk and vanilla extract in a separate bowl. Stir flour mixture into the butternut squash (and the egg noodles if using).


Spread mixture into a baking dish and sprinkle top with cinnamon. Bake until golden brown for about one hour.

Cheers, 
Ouiser

No comments: