Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Happy Memorial Day!

Hope you had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend! I meant to get this out yesterday but that darn family kept asking for things... the nerve, right?

We had a fantastic weekend filled with train rides, carousel rides, picnics with fried chicken (yes, made by me!) a bar-b-que with friends, fun in the water and Mr. O even smoked a pork shoulder for dinner on Monday. All it all it was a perfect family weekend. 

Of course the most important aspect of the weekend was remembering and honoring the men and women who fought and continue to fight to protect our country and our freedom. We attended a memorial ceremony honoring Alexandrian's who fought in Vietnam. It was a beautiful service and I was particularly moved by so many former military men and women who attended, many with their families and young children.  

Here are a few paintings that come to mind when I'm feeling patriotic. I hope you enjoy! 
On the Hudson at Newburgh, Gifford Beal, 1918

Avenue in the Rain, Childe Hassam, 1917

Soldier and Girl at Station, Alex Colville, 1953


Servicemen receiving care packages from Adopt-a-Platoon
Lastly, and most importantly I'm including a link to Adopt-A-Platoon. Its very simple. You contact the group and they assign you a specific platoon and give you a list of things most troops appreciate or miss from home. Then like any care package you fill up a box with goodies and ship it to your assigned platoon contact, usually the platoon chaplain.

I have only done this once, but it was one of the most rewarding things I've done. I don't know if this always happens but I received a beautiful thank you note from the platoon chaplain, which included photos. To think he took the time to thank li'l ol me was a gift in itself. 

Happy Memorial Day!

Cheers, 
Ouiser

No comments: