Thursday, October 7, 2010

Recipe of the Week ~ Bob Armstrong Dip with a side of Mommy Guilt

Buenos Dias Yall!

I'm practicing my Spanish as I pack. Is that enough of a tease to make you ask where I'm going?

Mr. O is sending me to Puerto Rico for FOUR days with my girlfriends and I leave first thing tomorrow morning. I plan to spend my time drinking slushy cocktails that make you giggle when ordering one from the cabana boy, reading countless books who've been waiting patiently in my kindle for months and of course spend a few blissful hours at their spa. Le Sigh. 

All in all I am excited beyond belief but I'd be lying if I wasn't a teensy weensy bit uneasy. This will the the first time I've left the boys for so long and only the second time I've ever left Baby Deux over night.

I know it will be a good experience for me as well as for Mr. O but I am hoping to skype while I'm away. I mean what if Baby Deux picks this weekend to start walking? Sigh... okay I don't like where this post is heading. So lets get back to food shall we? 

Anyone from Texas can probably make this dip without even going to the grocery store because we are hard wired to have all of the ingredients on hand in case there is a queso emergency. (Yes this can happen) However for those that don't here is my take on a Texas favorite! Trust me when I say you'll love it. I'm also including a link to the REAL Bob Armstrong Dip recipe from Matt's El Rancho in Austin. If you find yourself in Austin please go visit Matt's it's an Austin institution that shouldn't be missed. 

Bob Armstrong Dip 
(the easy peasy way)
serves- never enough

1 large package Velveeta, cubed and melted
1-2 cans Rotel  (I like to mix the mild with the cilantro version though you won't need both cans)
3/4 lbs ground beef
1 tsp each ground cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, salt & pepper
1/2 avocado, chopped

Melt the Velveeta in a large bowl in the microwave. It can cook unevenly so it's good to heat for a minute than stir and continue till all melted. Add rotel and stir. At this point you'll need to reheat for another minute of two. Meanwhile mix spices with ground beef and cook over medium high heat in a large skillet. Once browned and slightly crispy on the edges add to queso. Top with avocado pieces and serve immediately with tortilla chips. 

Enjoy your weekend folks and I'll see you next week!

Ole, 
Ouiser

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hope you have a great time! Cheers to Mr. O for being such a great father/hubby!