Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Love of God Revealed

Jesus the Light of the World
William Holman Hunt, 1851
St. Paul's Cathedral, London, England
Keble Chapel, Oxford, England
Today was another one of those Sundays when I was so moved by one of the readings that I was compelled to find a piece of artwork that might better illuminate my reaction to the words. Or should I say word? Sorry, a little biblical pun. Its ok to groan, it was bad. 

Romans 8 38-39

38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. 

With so much absolute horror in the world right now these were just the exact right words for me to hear today. 

The first painting that came to mind is Jesus the Light of the World by William Holman Hunt, which I wrote about previously here but hadn't bothered to do any research on. At first it felt foreboding and frankly a little creepy but as I read more about it, I came to find it fits perfectly with today's reading. While I've always believed God resides next to me in darkness, what about in less foreboding and dangerous situations? Today's reading reminded me that (insert a not so surprised face) that there is no ending or beginning to God's love for us. It surrounds each of us before we are conceived and long after we die. Not a bad way to start my week. 

And a little bonus artwork inspired by Dante. It sure took him awhile to get to God's love but when he and Beatrice arrived it was glorious. 




Cheers, 
Ouiser


No comments: