Thursday, May 9, 2013

Allies Day Remembered


Allies Day, Childe Hassam, 1917
National Gallery of Art, Washington DC

As I was driving in my neighborhood this morning I noticed someone had hung three flags, The American flag, the Union Jack and the French flag in front of their home. It reminded me of one of my very favorite paintings, Childe Hassam's Allies Day

It rather fitting to post it today, as its the anniversary of the first of two parades held in New York City to celebrate the end of World War I. On a side note, I'm a lover of parades. I'm lucky to live in a city that seems to feel the same. Old Town Alexandria has a certain small town charm that offers the perfect setting for parades. 

I've always had a soft spot for Impressionist paintings. They were some of the first first paintings that drew me into museums. And it was those first experiences that fostered an interest and eventually a love of art in many different forms. Childe Hassam was the first American artist that I was as enthralled with as those French rebels. It is easy to fall in love with Paris, the Normandy coast and the gardens of Giverny but what Hassam, and several other American artists of his day offer is an alluring look into our own backyard. I love to travel but appreciating your own cities and country side can be just as inspirational. 

If I could paint, which is a big IF, I would paint the enormous, sixty year old trees in our back yard whose long branches sway softly in the breeze. As the sun sets at night and I sit on our porch I feel as if I've escaped into the country. Ya know, that is until I hear a train passing, an ambulance blaring or one of the kids yelling at me for any variety of reasons. 

What do you see in your everyday life that could be made beautiful with an Impressionist's eye? 

Cheers, 
Ouiser

4 comments:

The Mrs. said...

That is amazing to think about! I think my view right now in Palm Springs would be incredible to see that way!

Ouiser B. said...

Yes! I'm absolutely certain Palm Springs would make a gorgeous Impressionist painting!

Sandi said...

My front yard in spring would give Monet fits ! Antique roses, a yard full of blue bonnets, and new and old oak trees in a buffalo grass setting which shines like silver in the early morning dew.

Ouiser B. said...

Isn't that the truth! You have such a beautiful garden. And I think the wildflowers of Texas are especially well suited for Impressionism.