Friday, April 5, 2013

I love my house, I love my nest...

First Steps, Vincent van Gogh, 1890
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City 

Well guess who woke up inspired this morning?? Yes, yes mom its me. 

Its been so long since I've posted anything here I should probably ditch the whole enchilada and start fresh with a new blog but between you and me I am the least tech savy former blogger you're going to meet so here I am picking up where I left off. I hope you find inspiration (and maybe a guffaw here or there) from my current interests. 

So, what have I been doing over the last year or two you might ask? Well, to quote one of my favorite movies... "Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up. Buttercup is marry' Humperdinck in little less than half an hour. So all we have to do is get in, break up the wedding, steal the princess, make our escape... after I kill Count Rugen." 

In my case I haven't been storming any castles but I have become an expert at all things superhero and Star Wars. I can recite Green Eggs and Ham as easily as I can my American Express number and I have a color coded kiddie activity matrix that puts my old political campaign events schedules to shame. Little Mister is nearly five years old and Baby Deux, three and half himself is completely mostly kind of potty trained. *skies parting angels singing* I can see it, I know it just around the corner. 

As I've started to have pockets of time to think about *gasp* myself and what I want to be when I grow up I've realized how much I love experiencing a piece of art and learning a bit about its history and cultural or historical relevance. 

My hope is to occasionally post about what pieces of art or literature is moving me or confusing me or simply making me think. I'm not trying to grow a readership I just want a place to keep track of what inspires me. I guess you could use one of those totally outdated words and call it a journal. 

It should go with out saying but let me repeat I am not degreed, certified or even gifted at art history or English literature, I am just an admirer.  However, I will try to do as much research on a post as a mother of two active kiddos can. 

If you think you might be interested in joining me please check in every once in awhile and share your thoughts, argue with me or just tell me how brilliant my thoughts are. Ya know, whatever. I'm breezy about it. 

Cheers, 
Ms. Ouiser 

*One note on the painting above. I chose it, not because I am particularly a van Gogh fan but it is the first piece of art that significantly struck me as a child and made me stop to think about its meaning. Do you remember the first piece of art that struck you? What was it? 

No comments: